NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone feeling at the end of Round 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCardello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is everyone feeling at the end of Round 2?
    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:53am
Out of all the genres Historical Fiction was at the bottom of the list of what I wanted assigned to me. And of course I got Historical Fiction.

Though I landed on what I wanted the main idea of this to be quickly, I really struggled fleshing out this story and sent off my final script way too close to the deadline that I was comfortable with.

In the end, I feel like my characters had greater depth to them compared to round 1, but my first story had a better arc to it.

How are y'all feeling?

Check out my CH2 screenplay The Serpent and the Koi
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:29am
When I enjoy myself in a contest I always feel like I have been punched hard in the head, lol. I feel that way now.

Edited by Suave - 16 Nov 2020 at 10:08am
TreeTheGreen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TreeTheGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:29am
This is my first NYC Midnight challenge that I've gone away without solid confidence in my script. I got assigned political satire and I was like ?????? TBH I didn't even know what qualified as political satire going into this. When I found out that books like 1984 qualified I was like, ok, so I have some genre wiggle room here--

I learned one thing: I don't like writing political satire Cool

I also had to do a complete plot rewrite/remodel after writing draft one because my script... was... not good. So. That was... exciting... Stern Smile

Hope others had a better time than me lol!

(Don't get me wrong, I still had fun, it was just a little rougher than usual haha)

Edited by TreeTheGreen - 16 Nov 2020 at 1:30am
SSC2020 CH2 | The Executioner

SSC2020 CH1 | The End of Us
TheMarkCooper View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheMarkCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:35am
Oh my, JCardello. I was dreading historical fiction too. But I lucked out and got fairy tale. I'm sorry for you. I'm sure my turn will come. One day. 

I'm tired. Brain wrecked. I think I get to a point where someone tells me something needs to be fixed and my story is now a house of cards. Fixing one thing destroys three others and so on. I am glad for the timed deadline. It forces me to stop. Good thing this is only a couple days too.

I need sleep, food, and mindless entertainment.

Cooper

Good luck everyone. I'll probably comment more here as I read others posts. 
TheMarkCooper View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheMarkCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:40am
Originally posted by TreeTheGreen TreeTheGreen wrote:

I don't like writing political satire Cool

I think I would say the same thing. In fact, I think they should have removed any political themes from this competition. I'm sure so many people are "over politics". We are so inundated with it right now and for the past year... I don't even think I could read a political story let alone write one. 

I wish you world's of luck. 

LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:10am
I felt so confident after round 1 - this time not so much....

Got suspense, which isn't one of my favorites, and a cold (not Covid, got tested). I had some great betas who helped me though. Just posted the title and logline, finding a typo Dead.

Stayed up too late proof reading and obsessing, now have to do my real job with a cold and too little sleep. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the competitions, but this time was a bit harder then usual. Hope to be better by the 250 word comp next weekend. 
Rachel M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:39am
Battling sheer exhaustion to write this today was difficult, but I really enjoyed this story and got to have that rare, exciting moment of witnessing something happen with my characters while I was writing them that I didn't plan or see coming. Actually happened twice for me on this one! That's why I write, which means this round is a win for me.

No idea at all if my script even fits in my genre or if any of the judges will like it even remotely. Regardless, I'm excited to make time this round to participate in the forums with you all :)

SSC2020 R2: The Bamboo Princess
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 5:56am
Oh my GAWD I found a huge massive typo that I somehow stuck in when revising my script after submitting. Literally changed the main character's name to another character's name somehow, screwing up the entire story. 

WELP GOOD LUCK IN THE NEXT ROUND FOLKS!  AngryErmm

(other than that, mine was ok)
Paula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:12am
I'm exhausted and on a caffeine diet today. Operating on London time means staying awake until 5am, literally pushing submissions until the very last minute. The good thing is, you can come up with some crazy/quirky last minute stuff. Or an unwanted typo, on a not so positive note.

I enjoyed fairy tale and love the story I picked, but made the terrible mistake of reviewing my last submission this morning and surprise surprise, I found something I desperately wish I could tweak now.

Masochist much, I know... :-))

Edited by Paula - 16 Nov 2020 at 7:14am
Paula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by TheMarkCooper TheMarkCooper wrote:

Oh my, JCardello. I was dreading historical fiction too. But I lucked out and got fairy tale. I'm sorry for you. I'm sure my turn will come. One day. 

I'm tired. Brain wrecked. I think I get to a point where someone tells me something needs to be fixed and my story is now a house of cards. Fixing one thing destroys three others and so on. I am glad for the timed deadline. It forces me to stop. Good thing this is only a couple days too.

I need sleep, food, and mindless entertainment.

Cooper

Good luck everyone. I'll probably comment more here as I read others posts. 

Or trying to bring the page count down to 5 keeping the essence of your story intact. That's a craft in itself...

Edited by Paula - 16 Nov 2020 at 7:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic