NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone doin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by MelindaLeigh MelindaLeigh wrote:

Anyone's first time?  I don't even really write screenplays, I'm usually a novel girl.  I'm learning a lot through this process.  It's fun and all though it would be amazing to win, I'll just be happy to get to the next round...

This is my first time in a screenwriting comp! 

As far as progress goes, I got an idea that I was excited about, then only made it about halfway through the first page before feeling eh about it. I'll try to pick away at it more tomorrow before completely scrapping the idea. At least having the beginnings of an opening scene gives me something to think about as opposed to feeling totally lost like I did all weekend LOL 
AMSalv View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMSalv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 8:32pm
I finished my 12 pages yesterday.  BUT I work in film as a costume designer, so my hours are insane and I have 28 fittings this week, so no choice.

Gonna sit on it for a day before I go back and look at it.  Thriller- NOT my genre, so I guess we will just have to see.. It was my third concept, first two just didn't go anywhere, and I wrote it without an outline, so it may be a bit of a mess. 
Ideas and Ink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ideas and Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 8:38pm
Hi! This is my second go-around with Screenplay (excluding short screenplay). I have to say, keep the formatting in mind as you write. I know a lot of us write like we're writing a prose piece and then try to cram it into the format near the end but I found it helpful to try to do the formatting correctly as I was writing. Gives you a REAL good sense of pages as they pile up.  

Also, and sorry if this is a "duh" comment, a screenplay page is equivalent to about 1 minute of screentime, so you're basically writing a 12 minute mini-film. Might help you in your read-throughs.
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ideas and Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 8:39pm
OOPS. Sorry. That was a pointed reply to a prior post. I clicked the wrong thing. 
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ideas and Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by MelindaLeigh MelindaLeigh wrote:

Anyone's first time?  I don't even really write screenplays, I'm usually a novel girl.  I'm learning a lot through this process.  It's fun and all though it would be amazing to win, I'll just be happy to get to the next round...

Hi! This is my second go-around with Screenplay (excluding short screenplay). I have to say, keep the formatting in mind as you write. I know a lot of us write like we're writing a prose piece and then try to cram it into the format near the end but I found it helpful to try to do the formatting correctly as I was writing. Gives you a REAL good sense of pages as they pile up.  

Also, and sorry if this is a "duh" comment, a screenplay page is equivalent to about 1 minute of screentime, so you're basically writing a 12 minute mini-film. Might help you in your read-throughs.
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ideas and Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 8:44pm
I was stuck on cliche' for my character so I just started to idea-binge...that didn't work, so I did some script and short story reading of things I consider good "suspense" 

An idea arrived like a thud in my head yesterday evening that avoids the character cliche' and I'm excited about the potential.

I've been stewing on it all day. About to launch into draft 1. Good luck everyone!
miarae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miarae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:27pm
I have not a word written down and no solid ideas and I'm swamped in school rn, but my genre is historical fiction so I'm doing a lot of research hoping smth I come across will spark smth I'm passionate about
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:37pm

6 pages in and I think I have written myself into a corner, but I think
I have a way out!!! And lots of pages to spare with 5 days... I just need some 
cute stuff to add...
Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 12:23am
Got an idea. Have done the research. Getting it to stick to the page is the problem. I get so stuck on formatting. I can spend hours trying to find the right way to write something! I know it is foolish, but my brain trips easily over the trivial.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Zero11 Zero11 wrote:

Got an idea. Have done the research. Getting it to stick to the page is the problem. I get so stuck on formatting. I can spend hours trying to find the right way to write something! I know it is foolish, but my brain trips easily over the trivial.

Yeah, I do the same with descriptions as I want the reader to see exactly what I envision - takes away creative time from the rest of the work, lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>