NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone doin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is everyone doin?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 1:24am

Well, it's that time again. The time where we all whine and gump a little.
I am in 3.5 pages and not real happy. I want to start a new one, but can't 
think of anything else - my mind goes blank when I try.
Is it going to be RomCom enough? Did they have to be so damn specific with 
the prompts? Chauffeur(I don't like it, not many ways to get around that one) 
but I can deal with it. But eureka moment? This is RomCom, not AA. I guess I 
could put in a sex scene?
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 1:47am
I'm supposed to be writing a comedy. I have seven pages, which pleases me. But, a caveat: they might not be good, funny, or formatted correctly (though, thanks to the many helpful formatting videos on YouTube, I'm figuring it out). 

I've outlined my remaining scenes and hope to finish by Tuesday so I can beta swap and make further improvements. This is my first script, so I need all the help I can get. 
** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:03am
I have 12.5 pages for my Fantasy. Do all the scenes follow the genre to a T? No. Will that change before the deadline? Also no LOL

This might be my weirdest concept yet. It feels like I’m trying to do more than one should with 12 pages but I feel good about it. 
KirrilyK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KirrilyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Well, it's that time again. The time where we all whine and gump a little.
I am in 3.5 pages and not real happy. I want to start a new one, but can't 
think of anything else - my mind goes blank when I try.
Is it going to be RomCom enough? Did they have to be so damn specific with 
the prompts? Chauffeur(I don't like it, not many ways to get around that one) 
but I can deal with it. But eureka moment? This is RomCom, not AA. I guess I 
could put in a sex scene?

I've finished the first draft and I'm at 11 1/2 pages. It's not reading too badly. It's the softest mystery in history and there are more flashbacks than live action, but it'll do. I saw you were on the Beta list, so I might send it through to you. Good luck getting some ideas going for your prompt - you'll get there Suave. 
MF100 R1 G9 Visitation Dreams
R2 Screenwriting Roll the Dice
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:45am
Originally posted by KirrilyK KirrilyK wrote:

I've finished the first draft and I'm at 11 1/2 pages. It's not reading too badly. It's the softest mystery in history and there are more flashbacks than live action, but it'll do. I saw you were on the Beta list, so I might send it through to you. Good luck getting some ideas going for your prompt - you'll get there Suave. 

Haha, I am doing much better now. And as we are almost in the same time zone, send away and I can read right away.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
Could be better and a bad experience with Writing Battle and some mean forum comments (not directed to me specifically, just general) actually are having an effect on me in this one.

I did finally think of an idea, but it seems a little twisted for comedy. Will think about it some more... 
mistressposte View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistressposte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:01am
Wow, you're all doing so well!

I had an idea but my husband hated it and pointed out all of the flaws that I was trying to ignore...

I found an idea this morning and hoping to be able to get fully into it tomorrow after sketching out this afternoon. 

I have no idea about crime capers. More or less any other genre (except comedy) would have been more acceptable!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:02am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Could be better and a bad experience with Writing Battle and some mean forum comments (not directed to me specifically, just general) actually are having an effect on me in this one.

I did finally think of an idea, but it seems a little twisted for comedy. Will think about it some more... 

Come on Barb, push through it, I know you can. Sometimes twisted is good!
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 3:06pm
I have my story beats mapped out in my head and just started page 4. But my characters are talking too much. I guess I'll just let them run off at the mouth for a while and fix it in editing. Also, I'm at the my-story-is-stupid/boring phase which is always fun.Smile
MelindaLeigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MelindaLeigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 6:28pm
Anyone's first time?  I don't even really write screenplays, I'm usually a novel girl.  I'm learning a lot through this process.  It's fun and all though it would be amazing to win, I'll just be happy to get to the next round...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>