NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How exact on the action???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CappyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
As someone who has taken liberties in the past with the action and gotten through to the next round I can say they allow you to be pretty flexible with the action wording as long as it happens.

My action this time was climbing a ladder but my character "clambered up" said ladder. For building a sandcastle, if you say "Lulu added the finishing touches to her sand castle - a little pink shell" - even though you haven't specifically said "she built the sandcastle" it is very obvious that that is what she is doing.

You have to remember everyone in your group has the same action and the judges might like to read it being incorporated in different and interesting ways, this also makes your story stand out. As long as the action happens - describe it however you like! Be creative and play with the wording. There are many different ways to describe the same thing happening :)
danni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Lowens Lowens wrote:

I wondered about that as well. I had "chewing gum" and initially wrote "smacking gum" and changed it to chewing. It would be good to know the rule on this. The rule on the word usage was clear. I got "grip" and used "gripped." This was so much fun. I do a monthly 100-word photo prompt challenge so getting to used 250-words was a treat!
Happy writing!

Yiiiiikes.  We're heatmates, and I'm realizing in reading your comment that I read the action as "grip" and the word/item as "chewing gum".  There is no actual chewing of gum in my story, but there IS gripping Ouch I hope I didn't get disqualified!
HHCrippen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HHCrippen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:36pm
^ Thanks, @CappyCat! As long as the judges don't have law degrees, we should be fine. "But did Lulu build the sandcastle, or did she claim it after someone left and merely add the shell?"

Edited by HHCrippen - 22 Nov 2020 at 7:54pm
mandalorian View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandalorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:03pm
I feel like I rolled the dice a bit on my action... I had "barbecuing", but had the character cook their meat on a fire...
Then had another character comment that they "hate barbecue". Just in case that helped. LOL

Fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic