NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How exact on the action???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How exact on the action???
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:18pm
I've been doing this for a while here, but I'm confused on the directions this time.  I have "Throwing a log in a fireplace." Can it be tossed or placed, or does it have to be thrown?

Weird.
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:27pm
For the sake of it, I'd throw it (any tense). I had 'taking pain medication' which my MC took. 

Edited by Nimhathuna - 21 Nov 2020 at 9:27pm
ashleythunt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashleythunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:36pm
Do you have to use exactly the phrase they gave for the action? I didn't think so, I didn't, so I'd say tossed would be fine personally.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by ashleythunt ashleythunt wrote:

Do you have to use exactly the phrase they gave for the action? I didn't think so, I didn't, so I'd say tossed would be fine personally.

I used a form of it because it worked in my story. The assigned action just has to take place. For the sake of it, I wouldn't deviate from it too much. Tossed versus thrown, six of one and half dozen of the other.Smile
alelha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alelha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by sgspeed sgspeed wrote:

I've been doing this for a while here, but I'm confused on the directions this time.  I have "Throwing a log in a fireplace." Can it be tossed or placed, or does it have to be thrown?

Weird.

I had the same prompts and wondered the same thing. In the end, I had the character throw it. Just in case!
TelepathicTeaTime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TelepathicTeaTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:58pm
I was just wondering this about my action too! I was assigned "putting on gloves", which my character does in fact do, but I wrote it as "snapping them on" because the gloves are the vinyl kind that make that satisfying snapping noise around your wrist when you put them on.

I don't wanna change it, not really, but I do feel a little worried about being disqualified over it too...
mosth7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosth7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:00pm
Personally risked it and took "flipping a coin" as...spinning a coin. Hoping that's close enough?
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by TelepathicTeaTime TelepathicTeaTime wrote:

I was just wondering this about my action too! I was assigned "putting on gloves", which my character does in fact do, but I wrote it as "snapping them on" because the gloves are the vinyl kind that make that satisfying snapping noise around your wrist when you put them on.

I don't wanna change it, not really, but I do feel a little worried about being disqualified over it too...

I hope you at least fixed your word though! 😂 
Micro Fiction 2020 R1 G51 - Roadkill Roulette (Comedy)
TelepathicTeaTime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TelepathicTeaTime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Originally posted by TelepathicTeaTime TelepathicTeaTime wrote:

I hope you at least fixed your word though! 😂 

No worries on that front! After getting everyone's advice on that in the other thread, I went back and made the necessary changes. Already resubmitted my story too. It was a berry close call!!
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:09pm
I'd say we're okay (hopefully). The rules state:

Action – The assigned action must happen within the story. For example, if the assigned action is “building a sandcastle”, then the action of building a sandcastle must happen in the story. Referencing the action through dialogue only is not acceptable.For example, a character that says to a friend “Want to build a sandcastle?”, is not acceptable without the actual action of building a sandcastle taking place.

We're still completing the action, not talking about it or referencing it. As I said I used a form of the word. Whatever term we used didn't interfere with the action being completed. Best of luck to everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic