NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you lot incubate film ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you lot incubate film ideas?
    Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:50am
One of the reasons I love NYCM is the often bizarre prompts and short deadlines combine to really get those creative juices flowing. 

Outside NYCM, I'm trying to come up with a bunch of potential film pitches, and am seriously considering picking some past NYC prompts randomly and assigning them to myself!

Does anyone have any other techniques for coming up with a raft of potential story nuggets? 

Also. Do you subject them to a 7 or 12 point story arc, or some other formula? 

Interested to see what others process is like. Thoughts and tips appreciated. 

Personally, I'm quite a fan of bubble 'mind maps'. 
cantonajones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantonajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 1:03am
I try to look for true stories, or interviews with interesting characters that might spark something. But in general, when I have a nugget of an idea I like, I try to let it percolate over time - if it’s still gnawing away at me after a year or so, there must be something in it that’s worth perusing.

I’ve never heard of 7/12 point story arc. Generally for a film, I have room for about 8 sequences of 12-15 pages, but I try not to complicate the structure beyond that... but generally, whatever works for you, right!? As long as it works!

Edited by cantonajones - 24 May 2020 at 1:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic