NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you all feel you did this round?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

I only know how I feel about one of these things once the first few peer-reviews are in.

I did a kitchen-sink drama. I think it's OK. It's just tougher for me when nothing's larger-than-life to know how much it'll entertain/move.
Tim -trust me it's good 
R2 - G39 - Not Mai Tai to Die
R1 - G161 - Strange Bedfellows 1st

Steve I View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Char D Vayle Char D Vayle wrote:

I found most ideas I generated from our prompts were too epic to squeeze into the wordcount. Sci-fi was draining but fun!

So True! My first draft landed at around 1500 words. My story essentially had two perspectives, a primary one, and a secondary more comedic relief perspective that i had to eliminate to get myself to 1000. Literally and figuratively deflating :D
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:52am
Honestly? Not well. I got political satire and didn't think it would be as challenging as it was. I had an idea in mind right away when I started out, but it ended up getting changed profoundly after I got more and more feedback. By the time I was on my second or third draft, I was getting confused about what I was even trying to say. When I submitted felt pretty lame.
Paoloxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paoloxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:31am
I had to write a comedy which was the one genre I was dreading. I don't read much comedy, if any. However, I do watch plenty on the television! Therefore, my story was a cross between Monty Python and Little Britain, so I'm unsure how well it translated as prose. Would probably have worked better as a screenplay.
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:32am
I like my crime caper story this round, and it's something I would be more like to read than romcom from last round, but I'm really not sure it fits the prompts well enough. Not sure the location is prominent enough and not sure it's actually a crime caper. So, not sure how I'll score. That said, I thought it turned out pretty good. Might do something with it in the future. 
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by reiale reiale wrote:

By the time I turned my story in I did like it.  My first draft not so much.  Overall I still preferred my challenge 1 story, but not because I think it was better written but rather I just like RomComs more than I like crime capers. I feel like I was able to give it my own flavor though and that makes me proud.

A big part of choosing to do this competition was to prove to myself and some of my family that I am serious about of pursuit of writing and actually not half bad at it.  It has always been a hobby but I have dreamed of it being more than that.  In that regard, I am already feeling successful because I have written two pieces I would have been scared to otherwise.

I feel ya. I am the same way. It’s hard to be serious about writing when your closest support group doesn’t think it’s a serious venture. 
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by AllyM84 AllyM84 wrote:

I like my crime caper story this round, and it's something I would be more like to read than romcom from last round, but I'm really not sure it fits the prompts well enough. Not sure the location is prominent enough and not sure it's actually a crime caper. So, not sure how I'll score. That said, I thought it turned out pretty good. Might do something with it in the future. 

Please, remind me to read your crime caper. I love them! I would love to help you if you want to expand on it. 
You want some practice? Watch the movie Tower Heist or Now You See Me. Although the first one is more the true crime caper because of the extensive comedy.
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
WRITE ON!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Noel Alcoba Noel Alcoba wrote:

I was happy with my story in Round 1, got 2 gigantic points for it!  In retrospect I know what I could have done better.

I'm equally happy with this round, and actually beta'd the thing for once.  So...we'll see.

I think you are pretty good. I am in the same boat. The critiques I got were mainly valid, and made sure I took them into account in round two. But I felt one of the judges was too literal about the concerns. 
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
WRITE ON!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Splatty Splatty wrote:

Originally posted by emilymyoga emilymyoga wrote:

I don't know what to think about this round! I got Political Satire in the first round and when I submitted my story I had no clue if it was actually Political Satire. This time I got Mystery and I was like, "oh, easy, fun!"... And I ended up writing a story that might not be a mystery? Cool I had several betas read it and there's no consensus. However, I think I wrote a better story this round. So there's that at least!

Genre can be so tricky. I got Crime Caper in round 2, I think I got it but i'm not sure. 
Looking forward to reading your story Smile

Just remember, there are many definitions of a mystery. Murder, theft, embezzlement, kidnapping. PI, cop, security, amateur sleuth. Light hearted, deep, scary. 
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
WRITE ON!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:50am
Originally posted by TheDustyZebra TheDustyZebra wrote:

Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Unfortunately (as it were), whenever I get assigned crime caper, I tend to dissolve into toilet humor. I honestly have no idea why. It's never a genre I'm able to take seriously. I'm definitely excited to post the story and read others' stories as well! Smile

My first crime caper here literally called for a plumber. I mean, really, what did they expect?

That’s kind of the point of a crime caper. There is supposed to be humor in it. Even if it is toilet humor!
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
WRITE ON!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
  Share Topic