NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How close to parameters to we need to be?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsunde73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How close to parameters to we need to be?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:33pm
One of my parameters is octopus. Does it have to be an actual octopus, or can it be an octopus ride, or an octopus toy, or costume?

I don't want to disqualify myself. 

Thanks!!
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:50pm
Personally, I would err on the side of octopod

The rules say:

Quote The assigned object (ex. toothbrush) must physically appear at some point in the story.  For example, if your assigned object is a wig, the actual object must appear in the story rather than a character simply mentioning a wig or the words “A wig” appearing as the name of a restaurant, in a letter, or on a sign (for example).

I can't help but think that if it could have been a toy/pretend octopus they would have said "toy octopus" (this is my bias as, last round, my assigned object was "toy train" and not "train," which implies to me they do specify when it's not meant to be the literal thing itself).

Sorry, I know that makes it a lot harder!! Hopefully some other people have different experience to cast a light on this question. If it was me, I'd play it safe 

(That said, no one said the octopus has to be ALIVE. It could be a very real preserved octopus, for example.)

Good luck!
BuryBadBooks View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuryBadBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:03pm
I agree with Taylor above. If that was my word I would have for sure thought it was the animal (alive or dead). However, instead of just using it as if it was THERE, like in the room, I might have said that my MC was watching TV and this commercial came out with an octopus that meant something to them or triggered a memory or some form of dialogue followed afterwards to tie it all in. 

Just my two cents. BUT if you made it an octopus themed roller coaster, for example, surely that would count as well, right? 
You read mine, I read yours. FFC #3: When Gravity Fell
The Red Lion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Red Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:22pm
There is room for creativity! Part of the fun and challenge is interpreting the prompts in unique ways to help your story stand apart! If it is still recognizable as “octopus” it’ll count. And if it has relevance to the plot or characters that usually gives you more leeway and brownie points with the judges.

For example, one time my object was “mustard” and I named a horse mustard who was very relevant to the plot and an important friend to the MC. Scored well with the judges, even if it was a bit of a stretch.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by The Red Lion The Red Lion wrote:

There is room for creativity! Part of the fun and challenge is interpreting the prompts in unique ways to help your story stand apart! If it is still recognizable as “octopus” it’ll count. And if it has relevance to the plot or characters that usually gives you more leeway and brownie points with the judges.

For example, one time my object was “mustard” and I named a horse mustard who was very relevant to the plot and an important friend to the MC. Scored well with the judges, even if it was a bit of a stretch.

While there is absolutely room for creativity, this mustard example probably would not fly these days. Last year (I think it was last year) they really cracked down and added that language in the rules about the item actually appearing. See the language in taaaylor's post above -- this would be similar to the "name of a restaurant" example they give as a no go.

You need to be able to pass the straight face test. A toy octopus or an octopus ride could probably pass, because they are still actually octopuses. A dog or a bar named octopus, no matter how relevant to the plot, aren't.  
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:27am

I would err on the side of how dense some of the judging seems to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic