NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How close have you gotten to submission deadline?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How close have you gotten to submission deadline?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Phobos Phobos wrote:

I think I submitted mine a few seconds after midnight this time. I usually throw an early draft into the site and then submit minor text or clarity edits until the deadline.

This time was ... different.

Story time.

I went cabin camping with my family this weekend and thought it would be great inspiration or at least distraction-free writing time, but being a 1-room cabin, there wasn't a whole lot of space to spread out after the kids went to bed. I wrote for an hour or two, took a walk by the lake, wrote for another hour or so, had 500ish words and felt pretty good. After throwing some ideas on a page, I went to sleep thinking I had a good, simple outline to fill out when I got in the car to drive home. Only then, my wife didn't sleep well, so I wound up driving home. And, then, with 5 hours until the deadline, I started to write in earnest.

Then, my teen daughter's boyfriend broke up with her at 10:15 pm (~35 minutes to deadline). I was still finishing out my final paragraph, but how can one ignore the weeping of their child? So I went and talked to her for some time, made sure she was okay, and when she said she wanted space I said I would come back and check on her. ... ... Back to writing.

So, my first (and only) draft was finished at about 10:55 pm.

I checked my word count (1000 on the nose), read through it hurriedly for typos, and then started trying to submit at 10:56 pm local time (~3-4 minutes left to deadline). 

In my panic, I forgot my Submittable password and of course it wasn't saved, so I reset it. That process was surprisingly fast, so I was able to log in again. When I did, it was in a new tab and Submittable said there were no submissions available. I checked again ... still 2 minute ... so I knew I should be able. I refreshed the tab multiple times. Clicked on "+Create Universal Submission" which didn't help. Checked the website again. The seconds were ticking down. 54 ... 53 ... I closed and reopened everything. 

By the time the FFC20 page reloaded, there were 20 seconds left, but the [expletive] NYC submission window showed up again! I quickly jammed my stuff into place with less than 20 seconds, but I don't know if I actually clicked submit within that 20 second window or not. Regardless, NYC says your submission was successful because they continue to accept late work up to 1 hour after the deadline. When I look on submittable, it shows that I submitted my material at 11:00 pm, which is 12:00 am NYC time. That makes me think I was late ... but I'm sure it was a matter of mere seconds.

I followed-up to NYC with my back-up copy by e-mail trying to explain what happened, but I'm still not quite sure what happened myself. What I think happened is that when I reset my password, it kicked me out of NYC's Submittable site until I logged in again, but when I clicked CTRL+T and logged in on a new tab, it took me to Submittable itself, not NYC Midnight. I was able to see all my old NYC Midnight submissions (the only things I have uploaded through Submittable), but it said in some uncertain verbiage (I did not screencap it) that there were no current submissions available. After that, slightly controlled panic ensued and pretty much everything after that is a blur.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping someone will think kindly on me, but I doubt it. They need to find reasons to not include people and a deadline is a deadline.

Oh wow, what a story. If you ever get suspense as a genre just write this story of you trying to submit your story with the clock ticking down, LOL. That was stressful just reading it haha. Sorry I'm just now getting to respond to you, by the way. I hope your daughter's broken heart is mending - That's always tough. I'm going to put your story on my list to read now that I know all the behind the scenes things that were happening during the writing process. I sure hope they accept your submission since it was pretty much write on the deadline. 
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Rob McIvor Rob McIvor wrote:

I'm in the UK so in both rounds I've submitted about 6 hours before the the cut-off and gone to bed. 

Then, of course, I wake up about an hour before the deadline, fretting over something I maybe should have phrased differently or whether I've been too obvious / too obtuse.  So I lie awake for most of the hour wondering whether to get up, fix it, then re-submit. Next, I realise I have ten minutes left and, of course, tonight is probably going to be the night that Virgin Media decide to do over night maintenance on the Broadband or I remember that I didn't plug the laptop in to recharge before I went to bed.

And then I think, sod it. If knocking out Twist and Shout on the first take was good enough for The Beatles, Draft 3 of a 1,000 word flash is good enough for me.

Back to sleep... eventually.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL This had me dying laughing because I totally get it. The worst thing is lying in bed fretting/wondering about something and then also wondering if you should get up and deal with it HAHA.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 5:43pm
Thanks for all the responses to this thread! I'm so glad I'm not the only one hitting submit at the very last second, LOL. As long as we get them in I guess that's what matters right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic