NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How close have you gotten to submission deadline?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How close have you gotten to submission deadline?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Drjro27 Drjro27 wrote:

I was stressed reading this!I hope you don't lose any points for the potential late seconds... and how's your daughter? A break-up right after vacation, right before school starts, sucks! 

I think they said there was some leeway on the timer to allow for things like internet (which is good because given all day my SP was sending messages about their phone/cable being out and a couple websites I use have notices about problems with servers so I was like sure today is the day the internet will go down...) It didn't but everything was a bit slow all day. Even before I didn't have a moment to sit or get water at work, never mind write notes!
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
deedodd81 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:56am
Was early this time at 11:47, but closest was at 11:59, holding my breath that it wouldn't tick over to 12am while uploading. I was just deleting random adjectives at that point trying to get under the word count. Worst story I ever wrote, I didn't even check the results because I was sure it bombed. Surprised as hell when the email came that Friday with the new assignment. There's just no telling with these things.
MFC 2019 C2:Clear Broth, Clear Mind
FFC 2020 C1:The Grey Sea
Lex Pearson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Pearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:07pm
The earliest I have ever submitted was 20 minutes before the deadline. I've actually submitted after the deadline several times and have still been scored (mid to high), but now that the competition has grown so large, I don't know if that will fly anymore. 

My typical writing process is as follows: get prompt at midnight. Fall asleep. Spend all of Saturday mulling over the story: try to come up with something to center it around. Fail. Go to sleep. Wake up on Sunday. Think some more. Jot down a line or two. Start actually writing at 8pm, submit at 11:58. This time was no different :) 
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Lex Pearson Lex Pearson wrote:

The earliest I have ever submitted was 20 minutes before the deadline. I've actually submitted after the deadline several times and have still been scored (mid to high), but now that the competition has grown so large, I don't know if that will fly anymore. 

My typical writing process is as follows: get prompt at midnight. Fall asleep. Spend all of Saturday mulling over the story: try to come up with something to center it around. Fail. Go to sleep. Wake up on Sunday. Think some more. Jot down a line or two. Start actually writing at 8pm, submit at 11:58. This time was no different :) 

Wow, throw in "have to work one or both days, which are inevitably the busiest days of the work week" and that's exactly my procedure.
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
Lex Pearson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Pearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by Lex Pearson Lex Pearson wrote:

Wow, throw in "have to work one or both days, which are inevitably the busiest days of the work week" and that's exactly my procedure.

Looks like it's been working for us so far haha LOL
orion323 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote orion323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:59pm
I submitted mine at 8:59 (CA time) only to realize afterwards that my poltergeist riddled laptop had once again inserted a half page of blank space...which is better than Short Story when it arbitrarily deleted entire paragraphs that I could never retrieve.

Fixed the format and resubmitted at 9:08.  I've submitted after deadline before but this is the latest.  I honestly agree there is some leeway and I would doubt the judges (or anyone really for that matter) see a time stamp.

@Lex Pearson-  that's exactly how I tackle every NYCM contest except I've scrapped and written new stories in the home stretch the last two rounds.   Confused
Phobos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by orion323 orion323 wrote:

I submitted mine at 8:59 (CA time) only to realize afterwards that my poltergeist riddled laptop had once again inserted a half page of blank space...which is better than Short Story when it arbitrarily deleted entire paragraphs that I could never retrieve.

Fixed the format and resubmitted at 9:08.  I've submitted after deadline before but this is the latest.  I honestly agree there is some leeway and I would doubt the judges (or anyone really for that matter) see a time stamp.

@Lex Pearson-  that's exactly how I tackle every NYCM contest except I've scrapped and written new stories in the home stretch the last two rounds.   Confused

That gives me hope. 

The timestamp issue is more for the contest accepting it for points than the judges' feedback. The judges will provide feedback for every story submitted within 1 hour of the deadline (there is a secondary clock for that deadline that can be seen after submission). However, I'd be curious to see if you got points for the late submissions.

I should also note: if you submit a draft before the deadline, that is the one that will be considered for points, so it doesn't really count for my predicament.
Fear is a powerful motivator. To some, it is a god.
SSC20 C1
FFC19 C2
orion323 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote orion323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Phobos Phobos wrote:

Originally posted by orion323 orion323 wrote:

That gives me hope. 

The timestamp issue is more for the contest accepting it for points than the judges' feedback. The judges will provide feedback for every story submitted within 1 hour of the deadline (there is a secondary clock for that deadline that can be seen after submission). However, I'd be curious to see if you got points for the late submissions.

I should also note: if you submit a draft before the deadline, that is the one that will be considered for points, so it doesn't really count for my predicament.

**editing because I somehow missed your post about what happened. Yikes!!**

I wouldn't sweat it.  I emailed them once because I'd had trouble getting onto Submittable and I couldn't tell if my submission ever went through before they eventually booted access to the upload page.  After a panicked SOS to NYCM feedback, they responded that as long as I received a confirmation email then all was good.  I also emailed a copy of the story.  

Pretty sure you can breathe easier.  None of the stories are posted yet and they give that extra time to iron out all those submission glitches and hitches.

Fwiw I don't think they dock/DQ for late submissions...or at least that isn't listed in the rules (?).  I imagine they just wouldn't accept the story past a certain point.  I've been dq'd once on a technicality and they very clearly stated the reason for it (didn't use the action specifically as written)

I agree with @Jennifer Quail about them allowing wiggle room for website issues.  This past week I've very rarely been able to sign onto NYCM at all and had to try 3 times to get my submission uploaded last night (which was part of the 9:08 eventuality).  I don't think their website can handle the traffic.  It's a shame they haven't revamped it now that there are so many more people using it.

Edited by orion323 - 31 Aug 2020 at 2:31pm
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:56pm
What a fun question! I've come close (too close) with updated submissions, where they wound up taking my earlier submission instead. I've never come too close with my original, first submission. Scary! Yikes!! Shocked
Nic6879 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nic6879 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:31pm
11:59 pm on the dot for this one and I think at least my past three submissions... I can't remember further but it's possible I always submit in the very last minute lol. Apparently I like to add unnecessary stress and panic to my day Wacko.

I definitely submitted 12:01 am once by the time it went through... I was stressed about it at the time, but received good points, so I don't think they deducted anything for the 2-min late submission. It was never mentioned anywhere either. Maybe they build in bit of leeway for possible technical glitches?
FFC20 Ch2 Gr22: Reluctant Rescue
FFC20 Ch1 Gr22: Ophomora
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic