NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How close have you gotten to submission deadline?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How close have you gotten to submission deadline?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:53am
Where I am from, deadline is 1:30pm Monday afternoon and I work Mondays so I never have close shaves - just have to get it done the night before.
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:57am
I think this round was actually the earliest I've ever submitted, at around 4:30PM EST. I think 10PM is the latest I've ever submitted, but I also keep my entire weekend clear (when possible) and send my husband out of the house to play with his friends so I can focus on writing. 
FFC #1: Beneath the Surface 6pts
FFC #2: Protocol Twenty-Seven
Phobos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:16am
I think I submitted mine a few seconds after midnight this time. I usually throw an early draft into the site and then submit minor text or clarity edits until the deadline.

This time was ... different.

Story time.

I went cabin camping with my family this weekend and thought it would be great inspiration or at least distraction-free writing time, but being a 1-room cabin, there wasn't a whole lot of space to spread out after the kids went to bed. I wrote for an hour or two, took a walk by the lake, wrote for another hour or so, had 500ish words and felt pretty good. After throwing some ideas on a page, I went to sleep thinking I had a good, simple outline to fill out when I got in the car to drive home. Only then, my wife didn't sleep well, so I wound up driving home. And, then, with 5 hours until the deadline, I started to write in earnest.

Then, my teen daughter's boyfriend broke up with her at 10:15 pm (~35 minutes to deadline). I was still finishing out my final paragraph, but how can one ignore the weeping of their child? So I went and talked to her for some time, made sure she was okay, and when she said she wanted space I said I would come back and check on her. ... ... Back to writing.

So, my first (and only) draft was finished at about 10:55 pm.

I checked my word count (1000 on the nose), read through it hurriedly for typos, and then started trying to submit at 10:56 pm local time (~3-4 minutes left to deadline). 

In my panic, I forgot my Submittable password and of course it wasn't saved, so I reset it. That process was surprisingly fast, so I was able to log in again. When I did, it was in a new tab and Submittable said there were no submissions available. I checked again ... still 2 minute ... so I knew I should be able. I refreshed the tab multiple times. Clicked on "+Create Universal Submission" which didn't help. Checked the website again. The seconds were ticking down. 54 ... 53 ... I closed and reopened everything. 

By the time the FFC20 page reloaded, there were 20 seconds left, but the [expletive] NYC submission window showed up again! I quickly jammed my stuff into place with less than 20 seconds, but I don't know if I actually clicked submit within that 20 second window or not. Regardless, NYC says your submission was successful because they continue to accept late work up to 1 hour after the deadline. When I look on submittable, it shows that I submitted my material at 11:00 pm, which is 12:00 am NYC time. That makes me think I was late ... but I'm sure it was a matter of mere seconds.

I followed-up to NYC with my back-up copy by e-mail trying to explain what happened, but I'm still not quite sure what happened myself. What I think happened is that when I reset my password, it kicked me out of NYC's Submittable site until I logged in again, but when I clicked CTRL+T and logged in on a new tab, it took me to Submittable itself, not NYC Midnight. I was able to see all my old NYC Midnight submissions (the only things I have uploaded through Submittable), but it said in some uncertain verbiage (I did not screencap it) that there were no current submissions available. After that, slightly controlled panic ensued and pretty much everything after that is a blur.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping someone will think kindly on me, but I doubt it. They need to find reasons to not include people and a deadline is a deadline.
Fear is a powerful motivator. To some, it is a god.
SSC20 C1
FFC19 C2
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Phobos Phobos wrote:

I think I submitted mine a few seconds after midnight this time. I usually throw an early draft into the site and then submit minor text or clarity edits until the deadline.

This time was ... different.

Story time.

I went cabin camping with my family this weekend and thought it would be great inspiration or at least distraction-free writing time, but being a 1-room cabin, there wasn't a whole lot of space to spread out after the kids went to bed. I wrote for an hour or two, took a walk by the lake, wrote for another hour or so, had 500ish words and felt pretty good. After throwing some ideas on a page, I went to sleep thinking I had a good, simple outline to fill out when I got in the car to drive home. Only then, my wife didn't sleep well, so I wound up driving home. And, then, with 5 hours until the deadline, I started to write in earnest.

Then, my teen daughter's boyfriend broke up with her at 10:15 pm (~35 minutes to deadline). I was still finishing out my final paragraph, but how can one ignore the weeping of their child? So I went and talked to her for some time, made sure she was okay, and when she said she wanted space I said I would come back and check on her. ... ... Back to writing.

So, my first (and only) draft was finished at about 10:55 pm.

I checked my word count (1000 on the nose), read through it hurriedly for typos, and then started trying to submit at 10:56 pm local time (~3-4 minutes left to deadline). 

In my panic, I forgot my Submittable password and of course it wasn't saved, so I reset it. That process was surprisingly fast, so I was able to log in again. When I did, it was in a new tab and Submittable said there were no submissions available. I checked again ... still 2 minute ... so I knew I should be able. I refreshed the tab multiple times. Clicked on "+Create Universal Submission" which didn't help. Checked the website again. The seconds were ticking down. 54 ... 53 ... I closed and reopened everything. 

By the time the FFC20 page reloaded, there were 20 seconds left, but the [expletive] NYC submission window showed up again! I quickly jammed my stuff into place with less than 20 seconds, but I don't know if I actually clicked submit within that 20 second window or not. Regardless, NYC says your submission was successful because they continue to accept late work up to 1 hour after the deadline. When I look on submittable, it shows that I submitted my material at 11:00 pm, which is 12:00 am NYC time. That makes me think I was late ... but I'm sure it was a matter of mere seconds.

I followed-up to NYC with my back-up copy by e-mail trying to explain what happened, but I'm still not quite sure what happened myself. What I think happened is that when I reset my password, it kicked me out of NYC's Submittable site until I logged in again, but when I clicked CTRL+T and logged in on a new tab, it took me to Submittable itself, not NYC Midnight. I was able to see all my old NYC Midnight submissions (the only things I have uploaded through Submittable), but it said in some uncertain verbiage (I did not screencap it) that there were no current submissions available. After that, slightly controlled panic ensued and pretty much everything after that is a blur.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping someone will think kindly on me, but I doubt it. They need to find reasons to not include people and a deadline is a deadline.

Quite the saga! I hope it works out for you. I suggest some kind of retribution against your daughter's ex for nearly wrecking your story (and for upsetting your daughter, of course).
The Red Lion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Red Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:02am
11:55pm for me (and exactly 1000 words). I typically don't cut it that close--maybe 1-2 times before, but this story was a struggle for me. I think I tried to put too many ideas into it. Whoops!
danni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:03am
It's fun to read everyone else's experiences...what a rush this competition is!

The first round of this challenge I ended up with way too much personal nonsense all weekend (cranky toddler & cranky boyfriend) so I was literally begging beta readers to tell me which half assed story draft to edit into something submittable 50 minutes before the deadline, and submitted at 12am on the nose.  I still can't believe I got it done, let alone got any points!

This round I had a 2,500 word draft by Saturday night, 1,500 by Sunday afternoon, and made my first 1,000 word submission at 10pm (and my last one at 11:38pm, haha).  

Because I wasn't frantically creating content Sunday I was able to participate earlier and more thoughtfully in the beta reads, which made a HUGE difference.  I'm happy with my story but it wouldn't be where it was without those folks.  Plus, now I'm so excited to see the final form of some of the stories I read in return, and rooting for them to place!  

That forum participation is going to motivate me in the future to get a draft down day one...maybe I'll just kick the boyfriend and the toddler out for the weekend! LOL
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:10am
I submitted mine after supper and then checking again after watching a show with my daughters/weary beta readers, realized I'd sent in the version without the title page info!! (Probably deleted it to check word count). AND somehow my late revisions weren't saved. Cue the panicked resubmission just before midnight. Unlike. Now I'm afraid to look at it again. haha.
Rob McIvor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob McIvor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:37am
I'm in the UK so in both rounds I've submitted about 6 hours before the the cut-off and gone to bed. 

Then, of course, I wake up about an hour before the deadline, fretting over something I maybe should have phrased differently or whether I've been too obvious / too obtuse.  So I lie awake for most of the hour wondering whether to get up, fix it, then re-submit. Next, I realise I have ten minutes left and, of course, tonight is probably going to be the night that Virgin Media decide to do over night maintenance on the Broadband or I remember that I didn't plug the laptop in to recharge before I went to bed.

And then I think, sod it. If knocking out Twist and Shout on the first take was good enough for The Beatles, Draft 3 of a 1,000 word flash is good enough for me.

Back to sleep... eventually.
Between the Disney abattoir and the chemical refinery
Drjro27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drjro27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:23am
I was stressed reading this!I hope you don't lose any points for the potential late seconds... and how's your daughter? A break-up right after vacation, right before school starts, sucks! 
Christobelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christobelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:32am
I hit submit with 2 whole minutes to spare (1.58pm Monday, Aussie time), the "backup" copy being emailed to them literally dead on the cutoff time. 

I don't think I even cut it that fine way back in the old uni days!!!!

FFC 2020 R2 The Finger of God
FFC 2020 R1 The Swan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic