NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horror Flash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horror Flash
    Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 12:59pm

Hi all, got this link today for anyone who wants to submit!  You wrote it, you might as well send it out Smile Patsy

Subject: Palaver Journal Flash Fiction Contest - Scary Stories

Flash Fiction Contest – Scary Stories
Scare us in 999 words or fewer and submit to http://www.palaverjournal.com by 
November 1st, 2014.
Palaver is the University of North Carolina Wilmington’s online 
interdisciplinary journal. We publish creative and academic work. Palaver is a 
venue for innovative work, promoting the visionary talents of contributors 
across an array of interests, while merging diverse academic endeavors into a 
forum, giving rise to a new dialogue.
To learn more about Palaver, please visit our website: http://www.palaverjournal.com
If you should have any queries or need clarifications on what we're looking for, 
please e-mail combsmATpalaverjournalDOTcom.
GinaG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GinaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:04pm
Ahhh I had a question about this - what's the protocol in terms of sending out work from one of these contests? Does one have to wait until ... some time period has passed? The final final final results are in? We've been eliminated at some point? Does it matter?
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:29pm
The rules made it pretty clear that we retain all rights to our work. I read the section pretty closely when I signed up, and it didn't mention anything about a wait period or any other restriction.
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
maiaco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maiaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 2:28pm
In a reply from NYC they said the only requirement is that we wait until we have the email confirmation (72 hours).  With that in mind.............. where's the confirmation emails --I'm hitting refresh ALREADY!  Its going to be a long wait.

Edited by maiaco - 07 Oct 2014 at 2:29pm
No baby acorns were harmed in the writing of this story

BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 2:30pm
Thanks Patsy.

The Scottish Book Trust are doing a competition for 50 word ghost stories (UK entrants) if anyone's interested: 

50 words is a hard target!

Edited by BlackGate - 07 Oct 2014 at 2:32pm
yttrus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yttrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 3:33pm
Even though you own all rights, I want to quickly mention that some publications have strict rules regarding reprints and simultaneous submissions. Even if a story was not printed in an online or digital piece, some places count an entrance into as a contest as a reprint if it was posted anywhere (even your private blog) and/or if the contest is still ongoing it may be considered a simultaneous submission.

So you may want to ask them before submitting :)
TheWearyLuddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWearyLuddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by yttrus yttrus wrote:

Even though you own all rights, I want to quickly mention that some publications have strict rules regarding reprints and simultaneous submissions. Even if a story was not printed in an online or digital piece, some places count an entrance into as a contest as a reprint if it was posted anywhere (even your private blog) and/or if the contest is still ongoing it may be considered a simultaneous submission.

So you may want to ask them before submitting :)

Always a good idea to check if you're not sure, true.

That said, wouldn't only the final round be counted as a potential simultaneous submission?

As I understand it, only the story that wins the final round and the entire contest is published by NYC Midnight. Like you said, though, some places might just have super strict rules.

I asked for some more specific clarifications about when a story's okay to send other places, on the Q&A forum, just to be super sure about everything, but I haven't heard back yet (they answered a question about rights there previously, so mine might be redundant, but you know, crossing/dotting letters and what-have-you).

Pretty happy with my Round #1 and #2 stories, and I'd like to start sending them out to other place soon, if possible.
yttrus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yttrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 7:25pm
You own the copyright to the story, so you can start sending it out immediately after confirmation from NYC Midnight. :D

That said, every publication has their own rules about what they will except, and to be honest it's pretty common for anything in the public eye (whether it is posted on a forum or even a private blog) to be considered a reprint  That's because a lot of places are paying you for first rights or exclusivity, meaning they ONLY want your story to appear in their publication or they want your story to appear their first.

As for simultaneous submissions, if the contest is still ongoing (even if you did not place or the story is for the previous round) some publications will not except it until the contest has ended entirely. 

Again though, it depends on the publication.  So your best bet is to ask whoever you are submitting your story to for further clarification on their rules.

Hope that helps :) 
milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 7:44pm
I, personally, don't worry too much about sending out stuff I have posted on the forums. In fact, I sold a story last year to a paying venue for which one of the judges who had my story is an editor.

It's always better safe than sorry. You don't want a black mark next to your name at any 'zine, but as for simultaneous submissions, I am so irritated by places that won't take them, that I'll sim sub there anyway and just withdraw my story if it publishes somewhere else. IMHO it is none of their business if you are sending it to other venues, so long as you pull it if it publishes. Lit mags hold submissions for so long, they really don't have any business expecting us to only submit to one place at a time.
TheWearyLuddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWearyLuddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by yttrus yttrus wrote:

You own the copyright to the story, so you can start sending it out immediately after confirmation from NYC Midnight. :D

That said, every publication has their own rules about what they will except, and to be honest it's pretty common for anything in the public eye (whether it is posted on a forum or even a private blog) to be considered a reprint  That's because a lot of places are paying you for first rights or exclusivity, meaning they ONLY want your story to appear in their publication or they want your story to appear their first.

As for simultaneous submissions, if the contest is still ongoing (even if you did not place or the story is for the previous round) some publications will not except it until the contest has ended entirely. 

Again though, it depends on the publication.  So your best bet is to ask whoever you are submitting your story to for further clarification on their rules.

Hope that helps :) 

Thanks! I'm not posting any of my stories to the forum for that reason, so I think I should be good there.

The simultaneous submission thing is the only bit I'm a little worries about, but it looks like there's no issue on NYC Midnight's end at least, so I just need to check with the publications then.

I appreciate the clarifications!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic