NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hidden nuggets in your story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 4:00pm
For most of my stories, the names I give characters are very carefully chosen.

For my SSC about a ghost in a mortuary, all the characters' names reveal their place in the estimation of the ghost.
FFC2019 C3 G01 | Moonstone Madness
SSP2019 C1 G20 | Doesn't Have the Range
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

For most of my stories, the names I give characters are very carefully chosen.

For my SSC about a ghost in a mortuary, all the characters' names reveal their place in the estimation of the ghost.

Neat! Both of the men who got names in my story had very specific ones this round which should have revealed their true nature. <fingers crossed>

I forgot until you mentioned it. Ah, the importance of a well placed name! Big smile
MikeBham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 5:26pm
I had a little thing from my own childhood, based on a misunderstanding of "Rec" (as an abbreviation of Recreation) and "Wreck".

Sadly, in the vicious word-cull I had to lose the explanation...but left the "Wreck" in the story.

Oops!

Edited by MikeBham - 06 Aug 2019 at 5:28pm
JeanlucPIc View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeanlucPIc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:09am
In my story, the killer uses the line "You seem a decent person. I hate to kill you" before he kills his victims. It is a reference to the exchange in the movie The Princess Bride: Inigo Montoya: "You seem decent fellow. I hate to kill you". The Man in Black: "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die". 
MF19 1, Group 13 Outdrawn

FF19 3, Group 16 Operation: Purple Vengeance
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 9:00am
I pretty much always choose names that are a nod at some aspect of the story, if the characters have names, like Cora and Offenbach in An Apple, but it's not much of a nugget to call the MC of a horror story Edgar - thou gh the judges will almost certainly miss that (and why shouldn't they). More 'nougat' than 'nugget' in this particular story. But I have a bit of a history of judges missing stuff, like thinking my rat MCs last year were deer(referred to as does once and RATS in capitals two or three times, or deciding that one of my MCs could be cut in a ghost love story, which would have left the other MC with no-one to fall in love with and render the entire plot and ending impossible. As for my current story, there are both nuggets and underdeveloped things so the scope is wide, but I do hope they at least get the drift of it. 
SSC19 Gr2 Ch1 Love and Stuff
Micro19 Gr14 R1 A Tale of Milk & Toes
haole View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:13am
I thought it was pretty obvious that the sunrise in my story symbolized the start of a new chapter in the MC's life, but the few reviewers who read my story seemed only to obsess over misunderstanding the grammar difference between watching the "sun rise" and watching the "sunrise"

NerdyDan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NerdyDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 11:21am
I was trying to think of some hidden nugget to throw in. Unfortunately, in this case that wasn't possible. I had so much other things I wanted to put in. I think I did have something in the initial draft. However, I cut 500 words from this story to make it fit. 

In a recent writing class, I did have a person who was stranded in a basement and that person said something similar to the Cask of Amontillado. 
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:24am
I think this one is getting passed over quite often. Either that, or it's too explicit for many to respond to. I just thought it was funny when I thought of it.

• Lenny tidied up the work area. “So, you got any more tenants you’re tracking?” 

“The girl in 110 has a thing for lingerie, and 129 has gotten several shipments from a company called Vul-vavoom.”

“What kind of company is that?”

“Think vibrators.”

“Yeah, I got one of those for my neck. It’s great.”

Dvmason View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dvmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Viktrune Viktrune wrote:

For me, the use of the Caldwell Dragon comes from an actual report in the early American military where one general reported that he and his troops encountered a dragon in the Appalachians that drove his troops away and seemed to protect the Natives. 

There's only one historical report about it, but I felt it was just too horribly interesting not to throw into a story. 

I can’t find this story anywhere- inquiring minds must know, where can I read this report?

Thanks!
D
sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 1:30pm
ohhh man i love little nuggets! i think pretty much every nyc piece i've ever written has been a sort of love letter from me to something, if you just know where to look LOL most of my characters are named for/from something, like a book or game or show, and i've been known to use the same name several times across pieces for very different characters. in SSC, i had a bunch of characters named for npcs in Dragon Age LOL

it's never clever, but you can always pinpoint what i was doing in my free time by the names/themes in my pieces!! 
F1 DDN
F2 MM
M1 Cinnamon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic