NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hidden nuggets in your story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

I like to use foreign words for names; in SSC one of my characters, a radiant supermodel, was called "Susulu" which means "Shine" in Samoan.

I love using Google translate to generate names but I have to resist the temptation to explain myself in the text (unless it's relevant to the plot) because no-one likes a smart alec! :-)

BUT everyone enjoys a smart Alex!

I did the name thing in my residential school story, but I had the character mention the meaning. ("sister" which was also relevant to the story since the brother died.)

Edited by JanetM - 31 Jul 2019 at 6:03pm
Sponsored Links

OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:34pm
Not a hidden nugget, but my object prompt was an ethernet cable, and I never mention the word "ethernet". I hope it's obvious from the story that that's what it is, but I'm a little worried about getting pinged for it!
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Not a hidden nugget, but my object prompt was an ethernet cable, and I never mention the word "ethernet". I hope it's obvious from the story that that's what it is, but I'm a little worried about getting pinged for it!

Oh my! No worries there, I definitely realized it was an ethernet cable. Even within the confines of the story, the characters might not have known that exact term, so if you get points taken off, that would be really upsetting!! Shocked

< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic22675_post284862.html#284862 <--First round flash fiction
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:40pm
Also, the rules say the item needs to appear in the story, but not that the item has to be specifically labeled as whatever it is. Smile
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic22675_post284862.html#284862 <--First round flash fiction
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:02pm
My favorite book of all time is Silverlock.  The ability of John Meyers Meyers to pack so much into a small space is worthy of veneration; he is the apotheosis of layering a story in a story, and my feeble attempts at replication of his awesomeness is hardly worth mention.

That doesn't mean my stories aren't dripping with obscure references to other things.  I don't even bother to list them, and honestly don't expect anyone else to get most of it.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Oh my! No worries there, I definitely realized it was an ethernet cable. Even within the confines of the story, the characters might not have known that exact term, so if you get points taken off, that would be really upsetting!! Shocked

Thanks - hopefully you're right! :)  

cat_astrophe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat_astrophe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:00am
I love making nuggets out of names! I did that with mine semi-intentionally – the main character has a familiar whose shape is never quite described outright (there were more descriptions originally that made it more clear what he was, but were then cut for the sake of the word limit) but his name, Dandy, is a play on the kind of animal he is. 

I didn't want to say outright what he was for fear of it sounding too juvenile and incongruent with the tone of the rest of the piece, but the wordplay makes me smile and I think a couple of people have picked up on it! No big deal if the judges don't, it's mostly headcanon/backstory for the larger undertaking if I ever decide to do it. 
Read my Challenge #1 story titled A Reprieve here! Would love to read and give feedback in return!
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:27am
I don’t think I had any nuggets in my most recent flash; I like to make romances as broad as possible, haha. I did have a name nugget in a polisat from last year in which two women named Isabella and Victoria gab in a nail salon, ignoring the political apocalypse around them. Nobody (including the judges) got why I used such long and fancy names but I went the European imperialism route as another (lost) layer to the polisat, lol. I’ve been polishing it for publication and wondering if I should just lose the names.

In my screenplay for the finals round this year I spent way too long researching Swahili names for my gorillas that would accurately describe their personality traits. It didn’t end up adding anything to the story but the results were good!
FFC Ch1: Treasure Valley
Screenplay Finals: Animal Instincts
Chuzo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chuzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 11:17pm
My plot is about entering in other stories so I won't say that they are nuggets, more full ingots stolen from a strongbox. I did put a very particular (and very disgusting) reference to a part of a book from Chuck Palahniuk that nobody pointed out specifically, although I guess that not everybody got so impressed by that detail as me. 
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 9:43am
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

I don’t think I had any nuggets in my most recent flash; I like to make romances as broad as possible, haha. I did have a name nugget in a polisat from last year in which two women named Isabella and Victoria gab in a nail salon, ignoring the political apocalypse around them. Nobody (including the judges) got why I used such long and fancy names but I went the European imperialism route as another (lost) layer to the polisat, lol. I’ve been polishing it for publication and wondering if I should just lose the names.

In my screenplay for the finals round this year I spent way too long researching Swahili names for my gorillas that would accurately describe their personality traits. It didn’t end up adding anything to the story but the results were good!
Your political satire sounds awesome and the names appropriate, imho. Good luck with the submitting!

LOL on the gorillas names, but something like that can set the story apart. right? I know all to well the rabibit hole of research though. AND with flash so much gets cut out anyway- but it's hard to stop. I now know way too much about the sea urchin! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic