NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hey, losers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

If we’re random I choose 5 but can I cheat and pick the first horror group because I don’t want to write a horror? Makes sense in my head!

Hey!  I'm the only Random here!

Go for something completely out of your comfort zone, then post it for comments.  Do that enough and you can handle whatever gets thrown at you.

Oh sincere apologies, I meant random the concept, not THE Random who topped the heat! ;-)

NON-COMPThe Hunted
1st Round Spider Silk HM
Sponsored Links

Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

If we’re random I choose 5 but can I cheat and pick the first horror group because I don’t want to write a horror? Makes sense in my head!

[DEVIL'S ADVOCATE HAT ON] 
Wouldn't this be the perfect time to do something you don't want to do?

Totally, it's a great opportunity to to try something different when the stakes are low; but the apparent "rules" of loser's corner seems to be to pick a number so I'm asking permission to cheat - a little bit :-)
NON-COMPThe Hunted
1st Round Spider Silk HM
alisandra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alisandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 4:05pm

Great idea :-)

Though there is a “literary taxidermy” competition on the go elsewhere if you feel you need to give something a stuffing :-D

Loser checking in here! I've been planning to write something for the Literary Taxidermy contest and this is a great reminder to get going on that!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 4:14pm

Totally, it's a great opportunity to to try something different when the stakes are low; but the apparent "rules" of loser's corner seems to be to pick a number so I'm asking permission to cheat - a little bit :-)

Pick the genre or genres that scare you most, then pick a number.  Collect all the heats with that/those genre(s), then count down the number you picked.  If the number is larger than the number of heats, roll over to the top and keep counting.

Now you have the genre you hate and a pseudo-random set of prompts.  Start writing like your life depends on it.  Professionals beat scenes into submission until they're right, amateurs find an excuse to do something else (that's not my line, I borrowed it)

This Sig Intentionally Blank
RBJohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 5:11pm

Cheat on!!
SSC 2019 Round 1: Duluth
RBJohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 5:13pm

Pick the genre or genres that scare you most, then pick a number.  Collect all the heats with that/those genre(s), then count down the number you picked.  If the number is larger than the number of heats, roll over to the top and keep counting.

Now you have the genre you hate and a pseudo-random set of prompts.  Start writing like your life depends on it.  Professionals beat scenes into submission until they're right, amateurs find an excuse to do something else (that's not my line, I borrowed it)

That's... pretty Random. Tongue
SSC 2019 Round 1: Duluth
The.Black.Violet View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Black.Violet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 8:49pm
I told my coworker that I want to write something for the hell of it and he assigned me Gr17! If there aren't that many, I'll just divide it by two or something :)!
Read my R1 Screenplay A Home for Haunted Hearts

SSC R1 story Faces For Fire
The.Black.Violet View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Black.Violet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 8:51pm

Great idea! I do plan on sticking with something new and challenging :D Why not, right?

Edited by The.Black.Violet - 03 Apr 2019 at 8:51pm
Read my R1 Screenplay A Home for Haunted Hearts

SSC R1 story Faces For Fire
karlynns View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlynns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:37pm
Ooh!  Can I play, too?  I'm a newbie, and it took me so long to figure out how to upload my story to the Forum that I didn't get a lot of feedback, unfortunately (though what I did get was super helpful!)  I'd like to play again, but upload sooner this time!

I'm picking #4, because it's my favorite number!

Karlynn

Read my SSC R1 story The Gander

justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by alisandra alisandra wrote:

Great idea :-)

Though there is a “literary taxidermy” competition on the go elsewhere if you feel you need to give something a stuffing :-D

Loser checking in here! I've been planning to write something for the Literary Taxidermy contest and this is a great reminder to get going on that!

Does either of you have the link for the literary taxidermy contest?  TIA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic