NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Need cover artwork?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Need cover artwork?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:11pm
Hi guys! Can any of you recommend an affordable cover artist, and/or do you know of anyone who can work for a pittance? I'm, like, totally broke as per usual, but my best friend Sonya thinks my covers are horrible. Dead I'm going to self-publish my latest novel soon if a month or so passes without word from any literary agents. If any of you want to dabble in cover-art design, I can't pay much (if anything) but I can highly recommend you and mention you in the book! Or you can just look at the design I have so far (if you don't want to start from scratch) and comment on it, tell me how to improve it. (I'm so self-conscious about it that I don't even want to upload it here.) Feel free to PM me! Visual art is just not my thing. Pictures? Arrangement? Design? Cutting paper in a straight line with scissors? Heaven help me, no can do. Thanks so much!! Big smile
aniaheasley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aniaheasley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 4:26am
What do you want to do ?
New mail< id="mailtoEmail">Copy< id="mailtoClipboardTo">
Have you tried asking on a FB group, there are so many of them where cover designers, or wanna be cover designers offer their services, I think I saw a few on Writers Helping Writers fb group. 
What do you have in mind? Which genre? Please feel free to pm me, I can show you what my daughter did for my book, which I am selling on amazon. It is not top shelf cover, but I am very happy with it. 
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:54am
Also a month is not a lot of time. Agents have slush piles and may not even have gotten to your submission yet.
SSC 2020 R1 G77: The Artist Is Not Present
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:08pm
To AniaHeasley: Good questions! yeah, it's YA fantasy/contemporary!! I think I will PM you, because I'd love to see your cover! 

To Jennifer: Thank you!! I finished submitting several days ago, and I'm already afraid I'll never get accepted. AARGH. I'll try to hold out for longer than a month!! It would be so great to get officially published!! 
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 4:10pm
@Zelda, something else to keep in mind is that if your book winds up being traditionally published, you won't get to use your own cover art.  You'll be lucky to be able to use your own title.  I'm in a similar situation right now . . . I've worked so long and hard on my book that I want complete control over it, but I also would prefer that it be traditionally published.  It's frustrating to know that it's not possible for both of those things to happen.  I'm currently leaning toward self-pub just to retain control.  Best of luck with yours, however it gets out there!
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 4:46pm
Thank you, JustMel! I know you're right, but it's always such a longshot that I'd get published!! What a thrill that would be! Hopefully I could live with whatever cover art they come up with, but I know what you mean about how tough it is to relinquish control! Are you saying you're in the process of getting a book published?! Wow, that's so awesome!! Keep us posted!! 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 7:19pm
I second the people suggesting to wait longer. I think at least 6 months after the date of your last query letter is going to be your best bet. I had some queries take as long as 8-12 months-admittedly, that was on manuscript requests. But 4-6 months is an average wait for some agents to get back to you. Some go faster, but not all.

You could, if you decide to self publish, look at some pre-made book covers and see if one fits your book and budget: https://thebookcoverdesigner.com/

Good luck!

Edited by taaaylor - 16 Feb 2020 at 7:19pm
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:38am
To Taaaylor: Thanks for the advice and the fun website!! Oh wow, I'm mesmerized by all the covers there!! :o Yeah, I guess you guys are right and I shouldn't jump the gun on queries. You never know!! 
xaleas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xaleas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:13pm
I was looking for help a few months ago, and started on Reedsy.com and found out how pricey it could be for an expert!

One of the artists was kind enough to recommended an alternative, cheaper option: premade book covers. Look at facebook, or other options from a google search. There are some really beautiful things out there.

I ended up with a happy medium of price and experience with a freelancer that I found here: https://www.fiverr.com/ I am still in the editing process, but as I'm self-publishing I have the time. It is close and it is far and beyond anything I could make myself.

Best of luck! Show us the end result!
shady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 10:45am
I may be interested in cover art. PM me.
shady
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic