NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good scorers who don't progress -- FFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I have noticed this happening in the lower groups, mostly.  My thinking is that the old hands want to take advantage of the cheaper entry fee and NYC Midnight is filling up the groups as the entries come in - they do it this way, I am assuming, because they can't know how many will enter.  I would say you managed to get put into a tight group.

While this is a reasonable guess on how NYC does things, it is incorrect. I am an optometrist here. I always take advantage of the early entry discount. AND the coupon! I have found myself in as high a group as 55.

Grouping the competitors can easily be done by computer. Those in charge can do it in a matter of minutes. They can wait till all the entries are in and spin the wheel, so to speak.

However, you may be correct that this phenomom may have happened primarily in the lowered numbered groups, but if so, not because NYC purposely grouped the regular writers there.
I'm not posting this time
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:13pm
I am LMAO! I didn't write that I was an optometrist! I wrote old-timer! Damn autocorrect!
I'm not posting this time
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

I am LMAO! I didn't write that I was an optometrist! I wrote old-timer! Damn autocorrect!

mmm.  I got a new phone a couple of months ago, and it's auto-"correct" is still the bane of my existence.
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 6:07pm

LOL. I was trying for the life of me to work out the link! I thought, perhaps he just SEES things really clearly.... haha

And 'an optometrist here'... as if there's loads of them at the site doing their thing. Haha, that has tickled me.

Edited by rossinny - 13 Jul 2017 at 6:09pm
R2 250 Micro Motherland (Historical Fiction)
paulene.turner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Thanks for the input, Suave! I hadn't thought about how the rounds are filled out. I do agree, it feels a little weird to have our scores in early rounds and then...nothing. I expect it in a contest like SSC, because we don't ever see scores. In FF, it would be helpful to have that through-line and info on solid areas for improvement.

I'm just wondering if I'm up for it again. I got two great pieces out of it (maybe three? Hard to tell), but it felt sort of empty at the end.

Please Vernacular, you must enter. Your work is always so excellent, it sets a benchmark for many of us. It is good to have good people to go up against; it makes us all lift our game. And your stories are always worth reading. 

Edited by paulene.turner - 14 Jul 2017 at 3:12am
SCR1, GR 18, SPY THE MIGHTY QUILL;

tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:45pm

I have noticed this happening in the lower groups, mostly.  My thinking is that the old hands want to take advantage of the cheaper entry fee and NYC Midnight is filling up the groups as the entries come in - they do it this way, I am assuming, because they can't know how many will enter.  I would say you managed to get put into a tight group.

While this is a reasonable guess on how NYC does things, it is incorrect. I am an optometrist here. I always take advantage of the early entry discount. AND the coupon! I have found myself in as high a group as 55.

Grouping the competitors can easily be done by computer. Those in charge can do it in a matter of minutes. They can wait till all the entries are in and spin the wheel, so to speak.

However, you may be correct that this phenomom may have happened primarily in the lowered numbered groups, but if so, not because NYC purposely grouped the regular writers there.

I'm due for an eye exam. Do you have any openings?
Averah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:15pm

I registered late, and am in a ver low group number. I think entries are just randomized.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Averah Averah wrote:

I registered late, and am in a ver low group number. I think entries are just randomized.

Yes, I think you are right.  I registered early and have a high number this time, but in times past always had a low number.  The last FFC all the heats won with a single score were in the high numbers, that was my reason for making the supposition.
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 9:23pm

Yes, I know your pain.  I really enjoy the chase though.  I know my grammar and punctuation is very weak, had a brain injury and I just can't quite wrap my head around it - can be elusive.  I have been trying to get an advance out of a really good story, but I am afraid that is not enough, especially with the burgeoning numbers of contestants.

If you ever want someone to read specifically to help with the grammar and conventions, ping me (contest or otherwise, though I'll need lead time if it's long). I'm an English teacher and a line editor/proofreader at heart. You helped us all out during the short story contest, I'm happy to return the favor in a somewhat different venue :)
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

Yes, I know your pain.  I really enjoy the chase though.  I know my grammar and punctuation is very weak, had a brain injury and I just can't quite wrap my head around it - can be elusive.  I have been trying to get an advance out of a really good story, but I am afraid that is not enough, especially with the burgeoning numbers of contestants.

If you ever want someone to read specifically to help with the grammar and conventions, ping me (contest or otherwise, though I'll need lead time if it's long). I'm an English teacher and a line editor/proofreader at heart. You helped us all out during the short story contest, I'm happy to return the favor in a somewhat different venue :)

Thank you so much!  I may take you up on that, it will be your Sunday night though, I do not find it helpful early in the proccess, so I will private message you if I get ready in time.  Thanks, again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic