NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good luck tonight!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:02am
I'm in! Looking forward to another maddening weekend. :) 
Sponsored Links

rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

Originally posted by wateringcan wateringcan wrote:

Yay! Going through Smile

Congrats to all. My group (35) is looking proper team GB at the moment. THE BRITISH ARE COMING! LOL

Good luck this weekend everybody! 

Ironically, as part of the four-fifths of top five entrants in group 35 on Team GB, my script was set in New York and written in American English. Go figure. (Kill me now.)

Hey, another member of Group 35 Team GB here! Relieved to get through that one, I didn't enjoy writing the second script. Congrats to you both, good luck with the next round!
R4 SSC Red Army Knife
R3 SSC Martha
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

Yay! Going through Smile

Congrats to all. My group (35) is looking proper team GB at the moment. THE BRITISH ARE COMING! LOL

Ironically, as part of the four-fifths of top five entrants in group 35 on Team GB, my script was set in New York and written in American English. Go figure. (Kill me now.)

Hey, another member of Group 35 Team GB here! Relieved to get through that one, I didn't enjoy writing the second script. Congrats to you both, good luck with the next round!

Same, I hated writing that second one. Didn't beta and didn't post here. I didn't want to draw that experience out any longer than it had to be! 

Hopefully we'll get some interesting prompts this time that feel a little bit meatier. I found it difficult last round to write something I'm interested in with the prompts we were given.
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:47am

Yay! Going through Smile

This was the first time I wrote in American English too! The prompts just didn't fit England, somehow, (for me, anyway), but I'm way more comfortable writing in British English. I know we're surrounded by American media all the time but I still feel really out of my depth when I "pretend" to be American and to really understand what I'm talking about or how people speak. Back to England next round I hope...
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:14am

This was the first time I wrote in American English too! The prompts just didn't fit England, somehow, (for me, anyway), but I'm way more comfortable writing in British English. I know we're surrounded by American media all the time but I still feel really out of my depth when I "pretend" to be American and to really understand what I'm talking about or how people speak. Back to England next round I hope...

This is why I actually thought the prompts were challenging, because the conclusions I jumped to felt so obvious - suspense, so a legal poker game would be sort of boring, and as gambling is perfectly legal in Britain the obvious place to go is America. The microphone just screamed stock jazz singing diva, and since I've been in a New York jazz club with a stunning diva jazz singer performing...well, it all felt too obvious. I'd have gone outside the box a bit more but I had really limited time for the last challenge (as I will for the next). Obvious won the day.

My scripts and short stories are usually very English, but I decided that if I was going to write a New York-based script then I had to go full on with the spelling and vocabulary (I originally described the poker table as green baize, but a beta told me that Americans would just call it felt so I changed it).

Evidently we both faked it well enough!
ShSC CH4: Sport Of Queens (open/suspense)
SSC CH1: Forked (thriller)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic