NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Globe Soup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Globe Soup
    Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 10:22am
I keep telling myself to back off the contests and focus on growing the seeds I already have.

That said...

Globe Soup has me intrigued.  Any thoughts from the hive mind?

Soup for you?

No soup for you?
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 10:33am
I entered the Sci-Fi competition. Mainly because it was only $2-ish and I also wanted to try my hand at Sci-Fi. Not because I expect there is any chance of winning. I say that not in a self-deprecating way. My understanding is there is one winner in each sub-genre (mine is Cryosleep), and the best of those is crowned the winner. So the chances are remote even if you are great writer which I am not claiming to be. And with a low entry fee, there must be a gajillion people. So for me, it's an exercise, not a contest.
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 11:07am
The folks that run Globe Soup are amazing. They have a couple of facebook groups and they're always super supportive and offer free contests and lots of writing tips and the like. I'm very impressed with them on the whole.

The have a course coming up called how to write stories that win contests that sounds very promising. It's 18 weeks of pdf lessons where you workshop one of your own stories, then you get a month to polish and submit to their contest. And all entries get feedback. 
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 11:22am
Originally posted by wisemel wisemel wrote:

The folks that run Globe Soup are amazing. They have a couple of facebook groups and they're always super supportive and offer free contests and lots of writing tips and the like. I'm very impressed with them on the whole.

The have a course coming up called how to write stories that win contests that sounds very promising. It's 18 weeks of pdf lessons where you workshop one of your own stories, then you get a month to polish and submit to their contest. And all entries get feedback. 

That course is what grabbed my attention, are you doing it?
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 2:05pm
Alright, bit the bullet and bought the workshop/contest!!

Should be the best option to actually keep me focused on the piece I want to expand (and it's easier on the schedule than the screenwriting competition that was also tempting me).

Thumbs Up
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 2:56pm
I think I am going to do it too! Good luck Marty, Mel and all doing it!

Also received this email today about their 100 word comp…

2023 OPEN DRABBLE CONTEST | PRIZE: £300 | ENTRY: FREE | WORDS: 100 EXACTLY | DEADLINE: 31st MARCH, 2023

To celebrate the launch of The Dark Of Day: A Collection Of 66 Drabbleswe’ve decided to run our own free drabble writing contest! 

For anyone who doesn’t know, a drabble is a short story of exactly 100 words.

The Dark of Day is a new short story collection written by a small but extremely talented group of Globe Soup members. If you haven’t read many drabbles before, we invite you to pick up a copy of this book or download the ebook before you begin working on your entry for this contest! This book includes 66 fantastic drabbles. That’s right, 66 stories that are each exactly 100 words in length! The Dark of Day is currently available as an ebook for just £0.79 on Amazon! Get your copy here.

For our contest, we’re looking for the best short story (drabble) you guys can come up with! There is no theme for this contest. Your entry can be any genre or style, but…

Your entry must be fiction.

It must be prose (no poetry).

It must be a complete short story.

And it must be exactly 100 words in length. That’s right, any story that is not exactly 100 words will not be considered!

RULES FOR OUR DRABBLE CONTEST:

• Only 1 Entry per person unless you’re a member of our Members-Only Facebook group. To join the group, you must have entered at least one pay to enter contest with us. Members of the group can submit up to 3 drabbles for the contest.

• You MUST count the words in your drabble by hand. Do not use a word counter tool because they count certain punctuation (like ellipses …) as a word. We only count actual words as words!

• Contractions (don’t, haven’t, should’ve) count as one word.

• Hyphenated words (run-of-the-mill) count as one word. However, if it appears you’re over-hyphenating as a way to circumvent the rules, you may be disqualified.

• The title of your story does not count towards the 100 word limit. However, your title must be a title, not the first line of your story.

• Your entry must be exactly 100 words long. No more, no less.

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:

Please send your entry as a word doc, .docx, or PDF attachment to:

globesoup.drabble@gmail.com

PLEASE WRITE THE TITLE OF YOUR STORY AT THE TOP OF YOUR DOCUMENT. PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE DOCUMENT. THE GLOBE SOUP JUDGES MUST JUDGE EACH ENTRY ANONYMOUSLY!

The winning drabble will be published on our website. No other entries will be published. The winner receives £300. The winner retains ownership of their story.

I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Lulumacmac Lulumacmac wrote:

I think I am going to do it too! Good luck Marty, Mel and all doing it!

Also received this email today about their 100 word comp…

2023 OPEN DRABBLE CONTEST | PRIZE: £300 | ENTRY: FREE | WORDS: 100 EXACTLY | DEADLINE: 31st MARCH, 2023

To celebrate the launch of The Dark Of Day: A Collection Of 66 Drabbleswe’ve decided to run our own free drabble writing contest! 

Thanks LuluSmile The drabble looks interesting, may as well!
Good luck to you as well,
I am assuming there isn't the forum experience in this one...?

Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 10:10am
@martyess - there is a facebook group and you can get peer feedback via there it looks like. 
I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
TheGlamWitch View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGlamWitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 10:29am
Originally posted by wisemel wisemel wrote:

I signed up for this and am super excited! I also entered two stories for the SCI-fi cntests. I got Terraforming and Cryosleep 

I have ideas now to get them written
100MF 2023
R2(3rd): The First, The Last, My Everything
Final: Fresh Start
500W
R1: <a href="http
winternovella View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winternovella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 6:59pm
Thank you for sharing this site! I signed up for the sci-fi contest and did the drabble. You guys are great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>