NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giving Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:46pm
I give both, starting with a good thought.
Leaving just glowing feedback when you see what are to you problems does not help.
SSP R1 Harbinger's War
FFC R2 HAUNTED
https://bit.ly/32r9dq9 MF A Knock at the Door
LoboGal26 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoboGal26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by LaissezFaire LaissezFaire wrote:

I am a teacher at the college level. 

I teach college English 101 & 102, and I really enjoy seeing the change when student(s) have been given encouragement to think and explore literature and their own writing. My greatest surprise has been how they respond when allowed to think freely about poetry; one class decided the free form of TS Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" lent itself to being 'sung' to a hip-hop beat.

Originally posted by LaissezFaire LaissezFaire wrote:

What they did wrong is not as important as what they did right.

I love this sentiment. 

(19-micro) R1 H64: the spoils
LoboGal26 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoboGal26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I tend to say what I think, which has proven problematic and one of the reason I don't (do reviews) anymore.  There are very successful books/movies I utterly detested, which might also be part of the problem.

As I recall, I've appreciated your reviews, whether they were for my work or someone else's because your comments gave me something to think about.

I've gone back to read the first short story I wrote/posted--(2015) the genre was SciFi; the subject was video games; the person was a housekeeper--and I have learned so much since that first story thanks to the honest, constructive feedback of the people who took the time to help.
(19-micro) R1 H64: the spoils
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:34pm
Try to post something I liked, and then a few things I’d adjust or want more clarity on.

I personally find critiques that are just compliments kinda less valuable. Maybe I’m a weirdo, but I want you to tell me everything you think I should change so it will be better. Haha constructive criticism is my lifeblood
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic