NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting and Giving Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by purepisces purepisces wrote:

Thank you for sharing all this advice. I feel very unqualified to give feedback, but I want to participate. This helps.

If you write, you're qualified to critique :)

Cliff notes version: Find two-to-three things that worked well for you, and point them out. Then, find two-to-three things that read weird, felt awkward, or could be tightened. Mention them.

If you follow that formula, you'll have a LOT of happy customers!  Looking forward to having your participation in the forums!! It's a great group!
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by shanan187 shanan187 wrote:

Thank you for sharing all this advice. I feel very unqualified to give feedback, but I want to participate. This helps.

Cliff notes version: Find two-to-three things that worked well for you, and point them out. Then, find two-to-three things that read weird, felt awkward, or could be tightened. Mention them.

If you follow that formula, you'll have a LOT of happy customers!  Looking forward to having your participation in the forums!! It's a great group!

Heck, if you READ, you're qualified to critique. Don't hold back!

Some of my best beta readers for the novel I just sent out were people who don't write at all. They told me what they did and didn't enjoy from a reader's perspective. In the end, I think we're all writing for readers more than we're writing for other writers. 
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by MegOverman MegOverman wrote:

Originally posted by shanan187 shanan187 wrote:

Heck, if you READ, you're qualified to critique. Don't hold back!

Some of my best beta readers for the novel I just sent out were people who don't write at all. They told me what they did and didn't enjoy from a reader's perspective. In the end, I think we're all writing for readers more than we're writing for other writers. 

True that... a couple of my best beta readers for my novels are not writers. It's a different perspective that you get from non-writer beta readers.

Basically, anyone who is willing to be honest with their feedback (in a manner that is meant to help the writer) can critique :)
onealexis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onealexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:47pm
I know you said not to just say you like a piece, but I wanted to say I really liked your blog post. :-)

In this forum setting with people you are competing with, and with people who are anxiously awaiting answers on their scoring, I usually play the role of a cheerleader rather than giving a good critique. Maybe that's wrong of me. I don't know.

In writers groups I've been in - we play it as you wrote it - and it is so incredibly helpful to have a good critique. I've rewritten short stories up to 15 times before! And it's all good.

Thanks for sharing your post.
I've decided it'll be easier to never grow up, than to decide what I want to be when that happens.

http://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic11200_post124541.html#124541
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by onealexis onealexis wrote:

I know you said not to just say you like a piece, but I wanted to say I really liked your blog post. :-)

In this forum setting with people you are competing with, and with people who are anxiously awaiting answers on their scoring, I usually play the role of a cheerleader rather than giving a good critique. Maybe that's wrong of me. I don't know.

In writers groups I've been in - we play it as you wrote it - and it is so incredibly helpful to have a good critique. I've rewritten short stories up to 15 times before! And it's all good.

Thanks for sharing your post.

Your first line made me laugh out loud. Hah!

As for the competition... I don't even feel like I'm competing against people in my own group. Maybe I'm just weird... But I don't think of other writers as competition, even when we're directly competing. LOL

A friend of mine wrote a good blog post on the topic of competition and the writers of the world: https://courtneyherz.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/stop-treating-other-writers-as-your-competition/
makoocraig View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makoocraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 5:17pm
very nice post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123