NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Draft to PDF conversaion problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final Draft to PDF conversaion problem
    Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:31pm
When I convert a FinalDraft script to PDF, the program inserts a boilerplate title page to fill out.   But I can't edit it or delete it.  So I have to cut and paste my title page onto the the first page of the script.  That  changes the page numbering -- the first page of the PDF file is the boilerplate, the second page is my title page, and the first script page now becomes Page 2 and the  third page in the PDF file.

Anybody out there know how to deal with this? 
Requiem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:37pm
Go to DOCUMENT then TITLE PAGE and edit it from there. Make sure you save the title page before you save as PDF
Michael View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 9:51pm
Thanks for the suggestion, Requeim...but it still doesn't work.  I open a FinalDraft script, click on Document, click on Title Page, and edit it.  Then I save it as whatever shows up highlighted (I've tried other titles, too).  But for my FD title page, I cannot "save as" a pdf file (the line option suddenly is not there anymore).  I can save the main script as pdf, but the title page still shows up as boilerplate.

I've tried a hundred variations on a theme (i.e., pasting the Title Page onto the first page of the script...all with the same result:  The boilerplate still shows up after saving the script to pdf.

Oh, well...
Requiem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 10:40pm
Did you make sure you close the title page window before saving to PDF? It works in FD 7.
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 4:34am
I would suggest you contact Final Draft support online.  They are excellent and have always been very helpful to me.

Chris
wenonah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wenonah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 5:02am
Yeah, for some reason this is kind of tricky (was in FD 6 & 5 too) You have to have both the original document and the title page open - edit the title page, then close JUST the title page, then highlight the document page window and click save (I never "save" the title page, it will rename it as a new document) - then I close the main document (may or may not ask you if you want to save again, click yes) then re-open the main doc, save as a pdf and your edited title page should be in the pdf document. If that doesn't do it for you - listen to Chris ... of course you should always listen to Chris.

Edited by wenonah - 24 Jul 2006 at 5:05am
Michael View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 8:46am
Just tried it...no good.  I've got FD-6.  Maybe there's a glitch in that version.
Michael View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 8:55am
Wenonah...you did it!  Man, that sure wasn't obvious to the most casual of observers.  Much appreciated.

And to Requiem...thanks for trying to help. 
2184pro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2184pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 9:39am
I'm having Final Draft issues as well. I'll try some of these tips tonight.

On the other hand...a possible Suspense or Thriller script may be in the works from the Forum.

"An approaching deadline"

"He stared at his monitor...dialed the support 800 number and banged his head on the desk chanting 'P-D-F' over and over..."
Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro
 Post Reply Post Reply