NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Rules for 100 word Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 5:30pm
So I saw the new rules but like everyone I was really confused and debating on whether or not to enter again with these new rules in place. I decided to email NYC midnight and received this in response

Exclusivity Period
The exclusivity period is concerning making the stories publicly available, such as on a personal website or through a publisher. We would consider the review forums to be private since they require a username and password to access, and they will still be available for participants immediately after the confirmation emails are sent out for each round. But, we will expand on the language in the participation agreement in the coming weeks to clarify that posting in our private review forums, or any other non-publicly accessible place, will not be breaking any rules. 

Winner Rule
The "two or more contests rule" is actually meant for any individual that has been declared an overall winner of two or more of the same challenge. But, the individual would only be disallowed from entering the specific challenge that they won two or more times, and not from other challenges. Placing 2nd, 3rd, etc.. overall would not prohibit you from entering any future challenges, only if you placed 1st overall in two or more of the same challenge, either consecutively or spread out. We'll make sure to clarify the language for this in the rules before the challenge begins so there is no confusion. We are also contemplating adding a hiatus for the winner, rather than never entering the same challenge again, and this will be included in the rules before this year's challenge begins.

Seems like the forum is allowed and the winner rule only applies to placing top over all. 

Hope this helps 

Ainley Marsden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ainley Marsden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:18pm
I saw the rule changes when I signed up, but I can't find them now. No AI is a no-brainer. They shouldn't have to specify that, except to cover their bases legally. As for the exclusivity period, it's only 30 days. As I recall from reading the changes, the idea is to negotiate with the winners to allow NYCM to publish the winning story on its site. I think it's unprecedented that NYCM would pay winners thousands of dollars, more than they'd be paid on an open market, and then not be able to share those stories on the NYCM site. Certainly this must affect NYCM's reputation and credibility in the writing contest world. Even with the new rules, they intend to negotiate with the winners for the privilege of publishing the story. I think it's only fair to make publishing a condition of winning. I've tried to find winning stories published elsewhere, and some apparently remain hidden in a locked file on the author's computer. But limiting wins is a bad idea. People want to win against all comers, don't they? And are the same people winning the whole thing all the time? I haven't been on this site that long, but it doesn't seem so.
2023 FF:
CH2:
The Walls We Build
CH1 link is in Master list: JUNE JUSTICE IN JEDDHA (Group 56)
tiffinyfelix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffinyfelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 2:19pm

Edited by tiffinyfelix - 04 Apr 2023 at 2:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123