NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replying to Comments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leolegras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replying to Comments
    Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:56pm
Hi!

I'm wondering if I'm just missing something...is there some way to know if someone has responded to a comment of yours without combing back through pages of replies to find it? A few times now, I've discovered days - even weeks! - later that someone has asked me a question or responded to something I've commented on their post. There must be a better way!

Edited by leolegras - 29 Jan 2023 at 8:56pm
ReneeLuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReneeLuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:35pm
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been doing the combing method. Definitely not ideal.
Viktoria View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:59am
Notify me of replies to posts
Sends an email when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you make a post.

I found this under "Edit profile". I've not activate it myself, but maybe try and see if this helps?
leolegras View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leolegras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Viktoria Viktoria wrote:

Sends an email when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you make a post.

I found this under "Edit profile". I've not activate it myself, but maybe try and see if this helps?

I saw this, but I worried it would send me an email for ALL replies to a thread, not just replies to me. This could get crazy if it's a long thread! But I suppose I'll just have to try it and find out.

Thanks!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 8:37am
Originally posted by leolegras leolegras wrote:

I saw this, but I worried it would send me an email for ALL replies to a thread, not just replies to me. This could get crazy if it's a long thread! But I suppose I'll just have to try it and find out.

Thanks!

It will notify you of all the replies. There's no notification option for replies specifically to your comments, only activity on the thread. 
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:10am
Originally posted by leolegras leolegras wrote:

Thanks!

I didn't know there was an option in the profile, but I'm guessing it sets your default in the 'Topic Watch' option.
You can change this per Topic by clicking on 'Topic Options' top right. You get 'Watch this topic' or 'Un-watch this topic'.

If you're watching a topic and you're not actually on the forums, you get an email with the first new comment. Then no more emails until the next time you logo onto the forums. It assumes that when you log on, you check all the topics you are watching, so after that it resets and notifies you of next 'new' activity per topic / thread.

Mine seems to be set to 'Watch' by default. It's quite easy to scan through messages in my inbox (I have Outlook and a preview pane) to see what's going on. Much quicker than clicking through and around all the forums. And if there's something I want to reply to, I click on the link in that email and go right to where I need to be.

On the other hand, I get a LOT of NYCM email. So I set up a rule in Outlook to send them all to a separate folder.
And then I realised that contest entry date reminders, assignment emails and 'you can now post on the forums' emails were all getting filed away in that separate folder. So I had to create exceptions.

...I guess no system is perfect and you just have to decide which of the imperfect options suits you best.
 Post Reply Post Reply