NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ChatGPT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 3:38pm
...well, lol, GrammarlyGO is about to be released and it is literally powered by ChatGPT. The free version will include AI-generative features, like rewriting a sentence with a given tone. So the lines will get blurrier soon.

I think adaptive tech is vital for helping a variety of disabilities that may impact ability to self-edit or people developing ESL. But ultimately, learning language rules and why they work the way they do will improve writing at a baseline, because it improves what sentence structures one even thinks to write. Grammar is all about clarity and concision. It's better to put the work in and get a solid grasp on grammar.

I have had writer friends with learning disabilities who have to work infinitely harder than me to ensure that they have punctuated a sentence properly. But they still learned the rules. It was accurately transferring the sentence from their head to the page that specifically challenged them. A grammar-checking program is a good means to double-check work, but it shouldn't replace familiarity with the tools at one's disposal.

That said, I don't think it's cheating to have a program check text an individual wrote themselves. I do think letting it auto-rewrite sections in emergent features like "tone correction" would be a scummy move, but (at the risk of sounding haughty) I don't feel particularly threatened by the skills of a text prediction robot :P
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by NorthernPixels NorthernPixels wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by NorthernPixels NorthernPixels wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

l have to disagree Northern. An AI will be able write fiction. Once the program is advanced enough. Just like now, you give it parameters, the more detailed the better, and they will start spitting out stories. Men could not go to the moon remember. So, anything I can imagine, I can do, eventually.

It depends maybe on your definition of fiction. 
Until AI is conscious, living, and having experiences, it can't really write anything that's going to resonate. 
It already can write something that looks like fiction/poetry/etc. But it's not really... creating anything. It's just mashing together patterns based on someone's inputs. It's never going to like, emotionally move someone, or provide something that a human actually connects with... unless it's conscious, and at that point, there're much larger ethical issues we should be worried about than whether or not it's writing fiction haha. 

I think it is a good thing we are all  not sitting around a pub drinking and talking, lol. We might all get pretty drunk, but it would be interesting.

I think it's a shame we're NOT at a pub right now hahaha. 

Hell, I was just at a pub discussing whether one of our students has used chatgpt to write their Masters thesis (highly likely)
NorthernPixels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

...well, lol, GrammarlyGO is about to be released and it is literally powered by ChatGPT. The free version will include AI-generative features, like rewriting a sentence with a given tone. So the lines will get blurrier soon.

I think adaptive tech is vital for helping a variety of disabilities that may impact ability to self-edit or people developing ESL. But ultimately, learning language rules and why they work the way they do will improve writing at a baseline, because it improves what sentence structures one even thinks to write. Grammar is all about clarity and concision. It's better to put the work in and get a solid grasp on grammar.

I have had writer friends with learning disabilities who have to work infinitely harder than me to ensure that they have punctuated a sentence properly. But they still learned the rules. It was accurately transferring the sentence from their head to the page that specifically challenged them. A grammar-checking program is a good means to double-check work, but it shouldn't replace familiarity with the tools at one's disposal.

That said, I don't think it's cheating to have a program check text an individual wrote themselves. I do think letting it auto-rewrite sections in emergent features like "tone correction" would be a scummy move, but (at the risk of sounding haughty) I don't feel particularly threatened by the skills of a text prediction robot :P

As far as I understand, GrammarlyGo is a separate product... however, I am very disappointed they're going down that route. I don't personally use Grammarly anymore anyway, but I def won't in the future, that's for sure.
edit: That said, again, if you're just using the self-editing software, there's nothing wrong with that. The issue really lies in story/text generation.
As an aside. In all these tools, even in Word, I actually *hate* the tone correction stuff. It's like... a really strange inclusion. It seems kind of insidious. 

Edited by NorthernPixels - 19 Apr 2023 at 4:16pm
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 7:54pm

You would not Believe the hateful things someone DMed me the other day when I labeled Grammarly's tone-rewriting as generative AI. be careful 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 9:34pm

I am one of these that has to work really hard to put stuff to page and try to get it right. Does not matter how hard I work at it, it is never right... or I should say a new error appears where the old one has been taken care of that I can't see, very aggravating - a week down the road I can find and fix most, just not in time for the contests, lol. Brain injury.

Edited by Suave - 22 Apr 2023 at 9:44am
awinchester View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awinchester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 9:31am
Well. Now it's been done. Gross. "Peering Into the Future of Novels, with Trained Machines Ready" Forgive me if this has already been posted. I haven't read through all 19 pages of comments. This is an interesting read, though.
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 9:45am
So, I just watched a recent movie adaptation of Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.  This stuff (and recent Floridian shenanigans) make me feel like we'll be a part of the underground, keeping actual literature alive against the growing swells of laziness and censorship. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 12:26pm

You match this teck with facial recognition and then give it to a totalitarian regime and write a story about that. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:24pm

With all the news on IA being tossed around by the news channels, most of it just
click bait by the way, it has kept me thinking.

I believe I know how our world will end! Well, the world will continue, just without humans.
Some genius will put a AI into a dildo - it will never go off first and then fall asleep, it will like to talk afterwards, and won't mind being stuffed in a drawer and forgotten about. It may be called Siri, haha.
Eventually humans will become extinct through no reproduction. 

Edited by Suave - 15 May 2023 at 7:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819