NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting the same genre in different rounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting the same genre in different rounds
    Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 10:12am
Do writers ever get the same genre in different rounds of a contest? For example, drawing Sci-Fi in both R1 and R2 (or R3) of the Short Story competition? 

I've only been at this for a year, but it has yet to happen to me. I know the groups are randomly assigned, but I wondered if some magical NYCM algorithm prevented writers from being assigned the same genre twice in the same contest. 
Douglas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 10:41am
I can't find the link to the second round... any chance you could help?
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 10:53am
Group placement is random, so yes, it can happen. The only time you're guaranteed to have a different genre is between challenges one and two in the competitions where everyone writes twice (that's Flash Fiction and one of the screenwriting comps).

@douglas, are you talking about the Rhyming Competition? If you've qualified for round two you should have had an email with the link. But the assignments are here - https://www.nycmidnight.com/rsc/2022-2ndroundassignments

Edited by theinquisitor - 02 Dec 2022 at 10:57am
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Group placement is random, so yes, it can happen. The only time you're guaranteed to have a different genre is between challenges one and two in the competitions where everyone writes twice (that's Flash Fiction and one of the screenwriting comps).
Ah. Okay. I thought we were guaranteed non-repeats in R1 & R2 Flash and Short SW, but I wasn't sure about the others. I know some people have lamented being on genre streaks, but I couldn't recall anyone saying it had happened to them within the same contest. 

Edited by slinkylink - 02 Dec 2022 at 12:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply