NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the judges look for

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curryfriedrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the judges look for
    Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:42am
Hi all, I’m brand new to this world. Brand new to both NYC midnight and writing! I’m excited and nervous to join my first contest! The only writing I’ve ever done in the past was college essays and papers (I never attended college but would write for my friends for fun) in those circumstances it was easy to know what the judge(teacher) was looking for. But in this case I’m totally new and don’t really know what the judges like or “go for” reading the winning stories I guess I fear they tend to prefer a certain style I might not have honed yet? I joined this contest for the prompts and community, not to win anything, but I still feel the need to appeal to the judges. Any tips or advice or anything at all that might be helpful for a newcomer to hear would be so greatly appreciated! 
Sparker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:30am
Welcome!

I’ve done a few of these and I think you’ve got the right attitude.  My advice is not to worry about the judges, and you will get a better sense of it as you participate and READ others’ stories on the forum and see their feedback.  I personally made a creative decision to write for my readers, not the judges and I have never regretted it. Good luck and have fun!  
Curryfriedrice View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Curryfriedrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 6:20pm
Thank you! That’s very reassuring! I like that outlook for sure, writing for readers not for judges. I’m excited!
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 6:50pm
It helps to think outside the box when it comes to the prompts—as long as they still make sense. The more creative you get with the object/person/location/theme prompts, the better chance you have of standing out. As well, I have found some success with bending (but not breaking) the assigned genre (ie. making a ghost story comedic instead of scary). Just have fun, push boundaries when you can and stay true to the prompts!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:01pm

What do the judges look for... Well, that changes form judge to judge, I am
sorry to say. They are like heard of contrary cats. I have seen some very strange
judging calls over the years.

I am going with the write for yourself, if it makes you happy that is the point.
If you write for what you think the judges are looking for, you will end up with
a story, but it may not be what please you. I personally write for the one person
that likes my work, if I find that person I am happy, really. 
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:54am
First of all, welcome on board and congrats for posting so early on.

I'll repeat the advice you keep getting - write for yourself, not the judges.

That said, read the rules and read your prompts, then remember you'll be one of 30+ entries the judges get to assess. I spend a bit of time thinking about how I can reinterpret the prompts outside the way they were intended. Can I mash another genre? Can I put a required word into a longer word? Can I use a required object in a different way from the expected? I don't necessarily go with anything I come up with, but I spend some time exploring ideas before I start to write.

Also, read some entries from previous competitions. Look especially at later rounds - these are writers who progressed. Search the forum for 'feedback' or 'with FB' - often people post feedback and this can be illuminating. (Judges change all the time, but it will give you some hints.

And sign up for the beta reader list.
This is where you submit your drafts to other people in other groups for feedback, and do the same for them in return. (Don't think that just because you're a newbie your feedback doesn't count. It does. You're a reader, even if not yet a practised writer. You wouldn't be here at all unless you were, and that makes you qualified!) 
I'm guessing by the timing you signed up for the Rhyming Story Challenge - the list for that is near the top of the Creative Writing Corner forum. Otherwise, search 'beta' and you'll find what you need.

Best of luck!
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 9:15am
One thing I would say is be as complete as possible, within the word limit. Judges always ask for more of something, so don't give them low-hanging fruit like underused characters and unresolved subplots.
Bear in mind that they've got a lot of stories to read and they're probably not inclined to multiple rereads to pick up every nuance of your piece. Ambiguity doesn't tend to go down well, and subtlety can be missed, so if in doubt err on the side of over-explaining. 
Curryfriedrice View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curryfriedrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:21am
I can’t tell you how appreciative I am for all of you and your input/advice! Thank you! I’m having fun with this challenge and learning to use and navigate the forums Big smile it’s definitely a challenge to try to “show and not tell” with only 600 words in rhyme, but a challenge is what I wanted! Thanks again for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply