NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FF2 - What'd you get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothrasflame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 10:20pm
Didn't see anyone from my group (14) post, so I will...

science fiction / a military parade / a toothbrush

I didn't write a single word in the first 24 hours (just moved across the country this week and I'm SO tired), but managed to get something out today and submit. :)
SamMesz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamMesz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:15pm
Group 32 checking in: Drama | Cycling Studio | A Comb

I'm happy with what I came up with, but always afraid of whether I'm on track with the genre. Drama was so straightforward that I overthought it.
FF C1 G32: Tavasz (4 points)
MagsWrites View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by JeanNL JeanNL wrote:

Group 25: Ghost story, a workshop, a coffee bean

(Weird -- I got "coffee beans" as a prompt in last year's FF, I think.)

Having a problem with the ghost -- all the ones that show up so far are bent on being funny, and the genre description NYC uses emphasizes "frightening," "scary," etc.

I'll hope to get serious soon Sleepy

I had Ghost Story in the first round. I received zero points but I wrote sort of an ambiguous ghost. She appeared out of a bayou and lured my character in to it. That was all. LOL Hence the zero points. But my story was more lazy campfire build up with a quick cold splash of water at the end. 

Hopefully you were able to craft something fantastic! All the good word wishes to you!
MagsWrites View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:20pm
I don't know if anyone from my group posted. 
we have 
Comedy
School Dance
A Calculator

I struggled with this one and I love writing pithy comedy and satire. I wound up writing a story about what I think our daughter's senior prom could be like - given her personality. 
Zero points in round 1 so this one was really for fun. 
The daughter read it and laughed out loud. Hopefully that counts for something in the universe LOL
Mea Anders View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mea Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:33pm
Group 39 - Sci Fi / Accountant's Office / Billiard Ball

I was unable to participate in the first challenge, but decided to go ahead with Challenge 2 for the sake of practice and the judges' feedback. I'm not experienced with writing fiction, except through the NYC contests. Getting started is always tough, but I get a lot of satisfaction from every story completed. 

Jamesarkell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesarkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:50am
I'm in your group! Rom com always seems twice as hard. You have to do rom AND com. 
rmaterese View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaterese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by LivStrom LivStrom wrote:

Got ghost story / a practice room / a stolen bicycle

Went out on ghost story last year so was not super enthusiastic. Have an idea I like though so will go for it. It might be more fantasy than ghost but as I understand it any story that has a ghost qualifies. 

I went out on a ghost story last year, too. And I actually really liked mine last year. The judges didn't.

I'm in your group. I actually once again like what I wrote. We'll see what happens...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112