NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction Summer Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:11am
It's good to hear that there are some stand-out stories out there! I'm looking forward to receiving feedback, viewing the brackets and sharing our stories on the forum Smile

FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:29am
Having so much fun with these duels! The ones I've read have all been REALLY good and it's been tough to pick a winner. I don't necessarily have a set formula but in each case one has been more the total package than the other in terms of story, voice, characterization...but in each case it has been very close. I have two more to read today, yay!
SStory Be a Good Girl
Micro 250 The Butler
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:58am

This is my third WB, and I've never dinged anyone on genre or prompts. Sometimes I'll think, "Ha! Great interpretation of the object," or "Oh, you've really pushed the boundaries for the genre," but it has never impacted my choice. Of course, if the writer completely disregards the prompts, it might cost them, but that hasn't happened yet. 

Regarding the "needs work" part, avoiding reader confusion is a biggie. I read everything a minimum of two times, and if I don't "get it" or if there are large swaths of the story that make me go "huh?" or I can't follow the plot, then it's a problem. I say this to myself, knowing that my last submission may have fallen into that trap. So apologies to the readers of my story! Tongue

Regarding what I'm looking for, quality of writing is always #1 for me. I'd rather read a low or medium concept story that is well written than one with a fantastically original idea with a shaky or mediocre execution. Voice, word choice, tightness, pacing, dialogue, clarity of vision, and a clear story arc with a satisfying ending are all important. However, I don't know that I rank one thing above the other. As BarbaraFL said, it's more about the total package. I also will always lean toward stories that explore characters and relationships. So if you make me care about the characters, that's a tremendous head start. 

Most of the time, there is a clear winner. I've only had one duel in which I was really torn, which was in the quarter-finals. Both satisfied my expectations and had no significant issues, but one was slightly more enjoyable. 

Edited by slinkylink - 17 Aug 2022 at 9:06am
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:30am
Thanks Barbara and slinky (obviously I know your name haha but I don't know if you want it tied to your username... So slinky it is!)

Honestly, judging has got to be really tough sometimes, and as slinky said especially when it comes down to the quarterfinals and above. Kind of glad I'm not a judge! Tongue

EMeadows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EMeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:11am
Originally posted by GS2 GS2 wrote:

I'm having so much fun with my duels thus far! Already 3 down, and luckily in my case there have been pretty clear winners each time. 
In general, I'm looking at (1) does it fit the genre (2) is it a good story arc then (3) writing style as the tiebreaker. 

There's one story in particular that.... just wow, one of the best shorts I've ever read in the genre. full stop, no caveats for *written in a weekend* 
I hope to see that person get announced as a finalist so I can reach out :) 

Love the competition! 

I'm in the same boat. Have judged 3 duels so far also and have had clear winners in each. For me I look mainly for a great, well-written story that fits the genre and prompts. I've enjoyed every story I've read. They all have merit and lots of heart. I'm looking forward to the next two duels and following along with the results at the end. Can't wait to do it again.

Ps I love how easy the website is in regards to judging. So great! 
GS2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:17am
Totally agree - realize my initial post may have sounded like I'm a genre / prompt stickler over everything, but the quality of the writing is really the most important. 

First two pieces are more check the box items for me. If they use the prompts and have a complete story arc, then I hone in on the writing. I do think the genre is very important (more so than the other two prompts) because to me that's the main "challenge". If you do something that pushes the boundaries then I'm all for it, but I did penalize one story that I felt didn't at all fit into the classification even though it was well written. 

slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:37am
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Thanks Barbara and slinky (obviously I know your name haha but I don't know if you want it tied to your username... So slinky it is!)

Haha! Oh, my sacred anonymity! I just updated my NYCM profile page to include my first name, so feel free to call me Suzanne on the forums. Or slinkylink. Or slinky. Or slink. People address me using all of the above online and in person. Though seriously, I do appreciate your discretion. Smile
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 5:26am
Massive thanks to Max for another fun Writing Battle!

Your work on this is so appreciated (I hope you were able to get some sleep last night ... )
SStory Be a Good Girl
Micro 250 The Butler
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 8:21am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Massive thanks to Max for another fun Writing Battle!

Your work on this is so appreciated (I hope you were able to get some sleep last night ... )

Hahah eventually... At a certain point I said, well... It's out of my control. It's not helping anything me furiously refreshing the site to see if it was back online. The company that hosts the site had no idea there was anything wrong. This wasn't a "hug of death" situation where it was too many people on the site. This was Wix having server issues at the exact wrong time.

Thanks for being understanding! Glad WB has such a cool community. I did not get one angry email last night. Kind of amazing...Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234