NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keep Going With Daily Prompts (Twitter Bot)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rrbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keep Going With Daily Prompts (Twitter Bot)
    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 8:43am
Hi everyone,

First, congrats to the winners of the Flash Fiction contest! This was my third year involved in the contest and my first making it to the final round. Really glad to be in good company.

I’ve honestly found the prompts for these contests to be a huge help in helping me break out of genre comfort zones and think more creatively about how to incorporate different kinds of settings. I’ve often found myself wishing I had these prompts outside of the contest as well.

So, for myself and as a gift for everyone here, I made a simple Twitter bot that posts a new, NYC Midnight-style prompt every morning (EST) with a random genre, location, and object to use in your writing practice.

https://twitter.com/gloprompt

This bot and me are not associated with NYC Midnight, so I hope it’s okay by them — gave credit where it’s due for the inspiration — so if there are any comments or suggestions, please let me know. I hope it helps people keep the inspiration and especially your writing going between contests!

Thanks to the NYC Midnight team for another great FF contest, good luck to everyone in the SS contest now, and see you all in the next round!

Edited by rrbaker - 27 Jan 2022 at 8:44am
Probably Someone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Probably Someone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:19am
What a great idea -- thank you for doing this!

I just followed you.
mosth7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosth7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:27am
great idea! i am now following. thank you rrbaker!
rthomas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:28am
Amazing!! I might join twitter just for this.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:35am
Excellent idea. Will you vary the prompts - one day an action and a word a la the micro contests, one day a subject and character, etc?
rrbaker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rrbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:46pm
That's a great idea. I've only ever done the Flash Fiction contests, so I wasn't aware of what the other contests used, but I'll absolutely look into adding those. More variety is great

Edited by rrbaker - 27 Jan 2022 at 10:47pm
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 11:37pm
I needed something other than dogs, Jeopardy, and Star Wars to follow!
Kneazle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneazle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 10:50pm
Nice idea! I'll follow you and give it a whirl.
Scout View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:55am
This is great, thanks! Created a Twitter account just for this!
MF R2 A Tale of Crows
SS R1 Sona
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:22pm
Love it - thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply