NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction results...when?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by BuryBadBooks BuryBadBooks wrote:

Odd though. I tried so much harder this year than last year and did much worse both rounds (last year got 10 in the first round and then 15 in the second!). I guess the key ingredient is ...not caring for me? Then I make stronger stuff? 

Honestly, while some of it boils down to the random judges' tastes, it's also a lot about who is in your group. I've scored poorly with stories I knew were very good, and I easily sold after the contest. I've also taken top of my group with stories that I wasn't particularly proud of. If you are in a group of wringers, you can write a damned good story and still not do very well. If you are in a group of novices, you might write something average, and still place high. 

While this is a contest of skill, luck often plays a heavy hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The writing equivalent of being drawn against Novak Djokovic in the first round at Wimbledon?
deedodd81 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Originally posted by deedodd81 deedodd81 wrote:

Still pinching myself. Ow!

Story came second (on fantasy! WTF) and finished first in my group with 27pts.

I’ll take it!

Congrats to everyone for just being here and participating. I read some amazing stories that for one reason or another didn’t make it through which only once again reiterates how subjective this comp is.

Hey, well done, heatmate!! Congrats! 

I KNEW your story was going to come first, and I was right! and I told my hubby even before the results came out that it was a shame you didnt submit in C1 but hoped 15 would be enough! 😭 
MFC 2019 C2:Clear Broth, Clear Mind
FFC 2020 C1:The Grey Sea
AnneDee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnneDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 12:09am
I'm beyond thrilled to be moving on, but intimidated by the other amazing writers who are also moving on.  Congrats to all! Can't wait to read your next stories Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112