NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is a Conservatory? CH2 G12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spagster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a Conservatory? CH2 G12
    Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:54am
Hi all,

I'm in group 12 for the second challenge. Saddled with the tricky genre of Mystery and featuring a carrot. 

The bit I'm finding most difficult for some reason is the location: A Conservatory

In the UK (Where I'm from) a 'conservatory' is a glass construction attached to someone's house, but I think that in the US a 'conservatory' is what we would call a 'conservatoire;' a school for the classical study of music or other arts.

I'm hoping it will be fine if my story is set in either location, but I just wanted to check with some Americans. Does conservatory apply to both definitions? 
montmorency View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montmorency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:03pm
I'm American and my first thought for "conservatory" is the glass room like you mentioned, like in Clue/Cluedo, so I think you'd be fine to use that. The other meaning, for a music conservatory or similar, would also work. 

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply