NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else still staring at a blank page?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheddarbaked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Originally posted by cheddarbaked cheddarbaked wrote:

I only just started writing maybe an hour ago. Does a "crime caper" have to be humorous? The genre list describes it as "lighthearted," but the only idea I can come up with is more of a social satire revenge story, lol. I scored poorly in round 1 anyway, so I guess if I get disqualified it's no big deal. Tongue

It doesn't have to be humorous, but it's not, let's say, a serial killer drama like Dexter or something more horrific like Saw. A caper is more on the side of adventurous, roguish, playful. A lot of heist films fall under crime caper.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be okay, then. I wouldn't really call my story "playful," but I suppose it could fall under adventurous? And there's nothing violent or really dark in it. 
Jaevada View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaevada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:55pm
I thought I would love my genre, but after staying up way too late to finish a story I felt meh about and struggled to make action/adventure as opposed to thriller (it solidifies what I have always suspected, that I like to write dark) I went to bed stewing about it.  Then a dream set on a river (must have been thinking about my frozen river location too much) and now have just finished submitting a story I feel loads better about!  I hope my gut doesn't steer me wrong.  This one is much more adventurous and less hero in distress as my original.  The ease I got it down has me feeling what I am sure is a false sense of security.  Good luck to everyone else as we countdown the final hours.
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by jhenn jhenn wrote:

Location question: if my location is "boat parade" ... do the spectators along the shore of said parade still count as being "at that location" even if they aren't IN the parade? Or does it have to take place WITHIN the boat parade??

ARGH

Yes as long as they observe something that takes place. IMO
AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:03pm
It's 5:00 pm, and I just deleted everything I had as a first draft and started a completely new story.

Thankfully, I've got nothing planned for the evening, but this is still much closer than I've cut it in  any previous competition. Eek.
FF Challenge #3 - Minotaur
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:39pm
Uh oh. 2 hrs to go and I have 300 words. I think I'm danger.
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
stevieh View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stevieh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

You can do it! 
There's still time for a last minute epic sprint to the finish line xx
FF RD1 G87 Team Building
FF RD2 G87 All Grown Up
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:49pm

Your first piece was great. You clearly have ability. Maybe it's time to shut your brain off and just go with your gut. Sometimes the best stories aren't the best planned, the most cerebral, or the most polished. Every now and then it's stories just told by feel that really pack the most punch. Two hours is plenty of time to get down another 500 to 700 words and at least cross the finish line.

At least, that's what I'd say if I weren't competing directly against you. But I am, so I'll just keep all that to myself.
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

I love the competitions but why must I struggle so much every. Single. Time!?!? 😩 I got fairy tale this time and I really don’t like that genre so it’s a huge struggle. I also got a fountain as my location so not sure what I can do that would primarily take place at a fountain! I’m just a mess over here so figured I’d procrastinate a bit and see how everyone else is doing...?

SAAMMMME!  I started as soon as I got an idea but only had like 200-300 words at like 3 AM yesterday and then decided to avoid everything and procrastinate till Sunday (so par for the course!) Not excited about my prompts or the genre (drama. ugh). So makes it hard to want to finish early enough to use beta readers (love having the time during the SSC for betas, but I find it so hard for the FFs to squeeze that time in there)  Didn't start writing again like after 9:30pm today. Finished with like 15 mins to spare! (which is a first for me!) Probably helped that for once ever, I already had both the title & the synopsis done at the beginning instead of a panicked last second scramble to come up with something as I'm uploading.. LOL  So that was nice. 

Meh, we'll see how it goes. Good luck to everyone!!
2021 FFC1 Gr40 Romance A Long Walk
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:04am
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Your first piece was great. You clearly have ability. Maybe it's time to shut your brain off and just go with your gut. Sometimes the best stories aren't the best planned, the most cerebral, or the most polished. Every now and then it's stories just told by feel that really pack the most punch. Two hours is plenty of time to get down another 500 to 700 words and at least cross the finish line.

At least, that's what I'd say if I weren't competing directly against you. But I am, so I'll just keep all that to myself.

Thank you so much for the kind words you kept to yourself ;)

It was the little shake I needed to stop panicking and just write, and I managed to get something in with 1 min to spare. I'm grumpy about it because it's definitely not as polished as I'd like, but hey, it's better than nothing. 
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456