NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Prompts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmanzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by LisaBelle LisaBelle wrote:

Originally posted by tmanzano tmanzano wrote:

Originally posted by LisaBelle LisaBelle wrote:

The prompts feel really tough this round. I wasn’t thrilled with mine at first, but now I feel like I got off easier than a lot of y’all! 

Good luck everyone! 

Group 10
Suspense/thriller
Gluing something together
Room
I got this one too… when I first looked at it I was relieved. I then sat in front of my laptop and became less relieved. I had to walk away from the screen a few times. Drink. The glue was stumping me. These prompts have really pushed me out of comfort zones. I have always worked with a blank slate and let the image/story present itself. I had to summons a conjuring. I did finally submit and feel unsure about capturing suspense. Oh man, I am second guessing mine now. 

As per usual, I’ve veered from tentative confidence to abject defeatism in a span of 60 seconds. I like this better than my round 1 but that’s not saying much.

I don’t hate it. I don’t love it. I have no idea how it will do. Eight of 66 isn’t the best odds, right? I hope a lot of people in our group post their stories! 

I will share mine and look for yours. And yes, I hope there are more from our group too. 
tmanzano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmanzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:24am
Originally posted by NMiller NMiller wrote:

Not again!

Group 10
Suspense and or thriller
Room

Perhaps they know something I don't about my capacity to thrill a reader.
Up for the challenge but urgh..not again!
The glue chewed me up. How do you feel about yours? 

I will have to admit, I had my glue plan first and worked the story around it. I would have more issues if they had told us what they needed to glue. I feel bad for those with VERY SPECIFIC prompts...like paying a parking meter.
We got off lucky with the word “something” in our action. Good point. I will look out for yours. Good luck group mate. I think I will need it. 
LisaBelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaBelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:52am
I thought I knew how glue would work in, but it ended up being totally different. Even in 100-word stories, I find myself going down rabbit holes. 

Looking forward to reading everyone’s work! Whenever I read these stories, I sit there dumbfounded. Like I could have sat in front of my keyboard for a hundred years and never come up with something like that. Amazing! 
LisaBelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaBelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

During my readathon tonight, I said something like, "Omg, I hope I never get sci-fi."

Sci-fi, building a fence, spin

LOL

Best of luck everyone and have fun!

I had pretty much convinced myself that I was going to get horror and that I would have to write about the horror of being given a genre you couldn’t possibly write. 

Edited by LisaBelle - 25 Jul 2021 at 12:07pm
katie100 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:22pm

Not again!

Group 10
Suspense and or thriller
Room

I will have to admit, I had my glue plan first and worked the story around it. I would have more issues if they had told us what they needed to glue. I feel bad for those with VERY SPECIFIC prompts...like paying a parking meter.
We got off lucky with the word “something” in our action. Good point. I will look out for yours. Good luck group mate. I think I will need it. 

Hi groupmates! I'm afraid my use of gluing something together was too obvious for the genre. I'm less confident about my story this round than the first.

Looking forward to reading your stories!
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 2:52am
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Originally posted by aatordoff aatordoff wrote:

Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Group 3 here! Romcom / loosening a belt / since.

Hmmm pretty nervous about romcom in 100 words but 3 is meant to be my lucky number so fingers crossed! (Also, tell me I'm not the only one waggling my eyebrows at romcom + loosening a belt??)

I'm also in Group 3 (Romantic Comedy, loosening a belt, since), and no, you are not alone in that!

Originally posted by Brooklyncs Brooklyncs wrote:

Romantic comedy again... Was hoping for horror, but I'm good.
Action - loosening a belt, word - since

Group mates! Good luck writing and I'm looking forward to reading both your stories! :)

Heatmates! I can't wait to read all your stories!!
tmanzano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tmanzano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by katie100 katie100 wrote:

Not again!

Group 10
Suspense and or thriller
Room

Hi groupmates! I'm afraid my use of gluing something together was too obvious for the genre. I'm less confident about my story this round than the first.

Looking forward to reading your stories!
I just read your R1 story and see why you made R2. Well done! 

I have always been told to write for the reader. I have a very difficult time with that practice. I like leaving little clues within the body that makes the premise other than it is. I, however, seem to get the facial expressions from friends and family reacting to the surface subject of my writes and they do not see the little breadcrumbs of the hidden story. It is very frustrating, but also my fault. I myself see it screaming from the page, but, of course, I am the one who wrote it. 

I decided to stay safe on the first round, leaving very little obscurity. Well, maybe a hint of one. I had feedback that asked if they could have more on the subjects characters. Who they were, what was the relationship, and so forth. There was one line in the story that indicated who they were. No matter, the rest of the story was somewhat understandable, I think? Maybe if I titled it "Le jour de la libération". I digress... So, this challenge also wanted me to be a little more concrete, but fear my R2 submission has a bit to much fun time for me in it. I mean, my title alone has a play on words... I am really sweating it now. I think I may not make R3. 

Edited by tmanzano - 27 Jul 2021 at 11:44am
tiptreejen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptreejen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Probably Someone Probably Someone wrote:

I've gotten nothing but Ghost Story between this and Flash for the past three prompts, and it's my least favorite genre. Quite displeased. 

Yep, Ghost Story for this and the last microfic - I feel I'm being tested... (which, of course, we are!)
katie100 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 3:32pm
Quote I just read your R1 story and see why you made R2. Well done! 

I have always been told to write for the reader. I have a very difficult time with that practice. I like leaving little clues within the body that makes the premise other than it is. I, however, seem to get the facial expressions from friends and family reacting to the surface subject of my writes and they do not see the little breadcrumbs of the hidden story. It is very frustrating, but also my fault. I myself see it screaming from the page, but, of course, I am the one who wrote it. 

I decided to stay safe on the first round, leaving very little obscurity. Well, maybe a hint of one. I had feedback that asked if they could have more on the subjects characters. Who they were, what was the relationship, and so forth. There was one line in the story that indicated who they were. No matter, the rest of the story was somewhat understandable, I think? Maybe if I titled it "Le jour de la libération". I digress... So, this challenge also wanted me to be a little more concrete, but fear my R2 submission has a bit to much fun time for me in it. I mean, my title alone has a play on words... I am really sweating it now. I think I may not make R3.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this! I agree it's really hard to get anything subtle or layered into 100 words. The word limit definitely forces us to pick our focus. I have also had the experience of writing something that I think is layered and complex only to have a reader not pick up on it at all. It's super frustrating because it feels obvious to me. But that's why editors and beta readers are so important. After all the goal is always to get the reader to see what you see as the writer.

Your first story was excellent! And I'm with you on being nervous about making it through this time. But either way I'm happy to have made it this far. Two 100-word stories is the most creative writing I've probably done in years, so this is a success for me. The experience and feedback is what it's really all about. 

Edited by katie100 - 28 Jul 2021 at 3:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789