NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final push

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhardycarroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:03am
I thought about what I wanted to do on Thursday night, did some research on Friday, did a draft Saturday, and polished yesterday. First pass is the structure (written longhand), next pass the rhythm and details, then the character arc. The last few hours are tinkering with word count. It's really hard to write a decent story of that length in such a short amount of time. This is great prompt...sort of like an infamous crossfit workout that everybody dreads.
mike450 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike450 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by jhardycarroll jhardycarroll wrote:

I thought about what I wanted to do on Thursday night, did some research on Friday, did a draft Saturday, and polished yesterday. First pass is the structure (written longhand), next pass the rhythm and details, then the character arc. The last few hours are tinkering with word count. It's really hard to write a decent story of that length in such a short amount of time. This is great prompt...sort of like an infamous crossfit workout that everybody dreads.

That’s a good process for this... unfortunately I had commitments and couldn’t even start the writing until Sunday morning... and time I should’ve spent refining important story elements, I was instead trying to cut words.. and of course the next morning I thought of two things I should’ve done to help build tension... frustrating, but that’s what makes these contests challenging! And fun
Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:13am
Originally posted by mike450 mike450 wrote:

Originally posted by jhardycarroll jhardycarroll wrote:

That’s a good process for this... unfortunately I had commitments and couldn’t even start the writing until Sunday morning... and time I should’ve spent refining important story elements, I was instead trying to cut words.. and of course the next morning I thought of two things I should’ve done to help build tension... frustrating, but that’s what makes these contests challenging! And fun

It's unfortunate when life gets in the way! I just checked the dates again for Round 3 (just in case!) and realised that for me they land at 5am at the start of two days of training so I'll literally be writing it in bed after some very long physical days 😵
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910