NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SHORT SCREENPLAY '20 CH 1 BETAS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHORT SCREENPLAY '20 CH 1 BETAS
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 3:39am
The Beta Spreadsheet has arrived.

By now, you all pretty much know how this works.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

PirateJenny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PirateJenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 2:47pm
Adding my name now! 
BillPower View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 5:53pm
What is this? This is my first time writing a screenplay and thought it would be a good way to start! I've submitted now.
Tromatojuice View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tromatojuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by BillPower BillPower wrote:

What is this?

It allows you to get comments from fellow writers (that are not in the same group as you). You just add your details to the sheet, and ask others to swap for advice. 
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Tromatojuice Tromatojuice wrote:

Originally posted by BillPower BillPower wrote:

What is this?
It allows you to get comments from fellow writers (that are not in the same group as you). You just add your details to the sheet, and ask others to swap for advice. 
And it's customary to offer to read their early drafts, too, and offer your two-cents worth in return. In general, people have a first draft done within the first day. Before starting the editing and polish work, they send it out for beta reads and get feedback from fellow writers. Helps to see flaws you may not readily see yourself. Just pick people from the spreadsheet, inquire if they're available, and if they are send your early draft off to them. You'll get back varying degrees of feedback on story, characters, dialogue, format, the works. I'm considered a Format Nazi when I beta read. Lol. Since it's close to deadline and you submitted already, this isn't really an option for this challenge, but when Challenge Two rolls around, you can certainly take advantage of the services.
DContara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DContara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:23am
I didn't get to beta here today but this comment didn't escape my attention:

Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

I'm considered a Format Nazi when I beta read. Lol.

@NilesPerry I learned more on format from a beta of yours earlier this year than from any book on screenwriting I've read (a few, actually). So keep it up! 
BillPower View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:56am
Thanks for the explanation! I'll definitely try this for round two. My work ethic wasn't great for this so my first draft by end of day one wouldn't have even been worth it!
Puddleofsunlight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puddleofsunlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 11:16pm
Total rookie here...what is a beta?
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Puddleofsunlight Puddleofsunlight wrote:

Total rookie here...what is a beta?

Great question!

It's an unofficial review by fellow participants who will read your draft prior to submission and offer you their feedback. It's entirely voluntary, but incredibly useful to get the "aha!" and "wut?" from people who are typically just as committed as you are, but aren't the judges. Often they'll spot logic problems or plot holes, or even dull dialog and tired action.

Give it a try next round!
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply