NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first book just got published!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scrib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:23pm
Congratulations! I second the comment on the quotations on the back- they are hilarious :)
sandersc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandersc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:00pm
Wow! Congrats and I love that cover! Who did it for you? It's gorgeous. Your book sounds seriously so interesting. Smile Did you self-publish or traditional? I'm debating right now about which to really push for and am trying to get opinions. 

Best of luck!!! It really looks fantastic! 
wet moss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wet moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 4:10pm
That's brilliant! Congratulations!
allimax View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allimax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:07pm
Congratulations!!! 🎉 
MF1 Tigerbeans
FF3
FF2
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:11am
Fun fun fun! Congratulations!
djsaether View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsaether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Scrib Scrib wrote:

Congratulations! I second the comment on the quotations on the back- they are hilarious :)

Thanks.  I wrote the quotes too.  Mom and Dad are gone, but it's what they would have said.  Hopefully you'll find the book as witty as the cover.
djsaether View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsaether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by sandersc sandersc wrote:

Wow! Congrats and I love that cover! Who did it for you? It's gorgeous. Your book sounds seriously so interesting. Smile Did you self-publish or traditional? I'm debating right now about which to really push for and am trying to get opinions. 

Best of luck!!! It really looks fantastic! 

I did the cover layout and text, but a talented gal from the Netherlands did the art:
https://honnojisart.wixsite.com/honnojisart
(Dig around on the internet, and you can find a lot of amazing artists willing to work cheaply.  Famke, who did my cover art, charged $450, which was based on $250 base character (the girl in foreground), but there were add-ons for the clown in BG, BG wall art, and some other changes I put in.  A friend had a guy in Malasia do a whole comic book for him for like $2000.  Yea, it's a lot of money, but you get what what you pay for...)

It's self published.  Which is great if you want it published.  But it's a whole different world in terms of SELLING the book.  I've sold very few copies (like, 20.)  The thing about traditional publishing is they have a marketing department that no authors can match.  Amazon ads seem to only be good for charging me money, not actually selling books.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by djsaether - 14 Oct 2020 at 8:47pm
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:27pm
LOVE that cover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12