NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thebookishwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Location
    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 4:00pm
For an NYC Midnight Flash Fiction challenge, does the story have to take place entirely within the location specified? For example, I got "counting room", which is a small room and quite difficult to create a whole story to take place completely within with the other details I was given. Instead, my story somewhat takes place in it, and also very much centers around my character attempting to get back into that room. Is this acceptable? 
tiptreejen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptreejen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 4:29pm
My location is certainly integral but not the ONLY location in the story. However, I'm also a newbie, so I'm not very helpful! Hope it's going well. I'm taking a break before the final push!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by tiptreejen tiptreejen wrote:

My location is certainly integral but not the ONLY location in the story. However, I'm also a newbie, so I'm not very helpful! Hope it's going well. I'm taking a break before the final push!

Correct. It should be integral, but not necessary for the entire thing.
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
Archaeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archaeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:09am
Hi,

Yes, after a few years at this, I can say in my experience, the location has to be fairly dominant but most certainly not the only setting. In this round just done over the weekend, I used several locations in my story. I actually found this one hard, writing a spy thriller and using a doughnut shop. Honestly, sometimes I think the brief is a little ridiculuous for the genre. As if any spy thriller is going to go anywhere near a doughnut shop.
I am a little worried this time, with my doughnut shop not featuring as much as they might like, we will see.

Good luck!
sdee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 11:35am
I'm in the same group, Archaeo, and I had a question about this as well.

I am wondering how much of the story has to take place in the location in order for it to be "predominant".  My story doesn't begin or end in the location but 2/3 of the action occurs there, including the climax.  I'm hoping that works.  
Archaeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archaeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 9:35pm
I think you will be fine Sdee, it sounds like you used the location a lot more than I did this time.
Don't worry.
Last year my spy thriller (yes I got the same genre again), was supposed to take place in a sweat lodge. That was hard enough, but a doughnut shop?

I think it can be up to the judges' discretion each time but honestly, I think it sounds like you will be fine.
I struggled with the doughnut shop concept, so I used my experience last year on a cruise ship that had a very fine doughnut shop/ice creamery/cafe.

Let me know how you go next month and I will do the same!

Cheers

Christobelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Christobelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:05pm
I went through the same kind of worry after having written mine. 

It starts in one place for about 1/4 of the story. Then for about 1/2 it is in the location. The final 1/4 it is in a third place still. 

Hopefully that is ok (and yours too!)

Good luck!
sdee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:11am
Thanks -- that is reassuring!  Using a doughnut shop set on a cruise ship is definitely intriguing.  I'm very interested to see how others interpreted the prompt. And I will let you know if the judges have anything to say about the use of the setting.

Sounds like we did something very similar, Christobelle...  Good luck to you as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply