NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SAVE THE INTERNET!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobileditty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAVE THE INTERNET!
    Posted: 11 Jun 2006 at 4:48pm
Hello NYC Midnight! I'm here to do my part as an Internet Paul Revere and let all the indendent filmmakers, internet users, content makers, content lovers and the like know about the single biggest threat to indie media, and U.S. democracy, that exists right now. That sounds like hype. That sounds like an awfully big statement to be true.

But make no bones about it, the above is absolutely true. And the worst part is, once it happens, the changes will likely be so gradual that come after that by the time anyone notices, it will be too late to do anything about it.

There is a very real and pressing danger that the internet as we know it is about to be dismantled. Net neutrality is one of the chief and primary benefits to all internet users and service providers. On Thursday, June 8, 2006 the U.S. House of Representitives passed a new telecommunications bill called
the Communications Opportunity, Promotion and Enhancement (COPE) Act. This act passed by a, “321-to-101 vote, with 215 Republicans and 106 Democrats voting in favor of it.” (House of Representatives Passes COPE Act 06.09.06 By Bary Alyssa Johnson http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1974953,00.asp). This act passed without a crucial rider ensuring net neutrality.

Net neutrality is an essential issue. It allows for the unregulated flow of information. Abolishing net neutrality will turn the Internet into a series of increasing toll lanes that both Internet users and web site providers will have to pay. It is akin to being told by your phone company that if you want to call your Mom, you pay $1.00, but if you want to call your grandmother, you must pay $10.00--even if they live in the same house. Net neutrality means that when I type, "http://www.nycmidnightrun.com" I get to this site right away because I'm paying for broadband access.

A lack of net neutrality would mean that I might not have that access if NYC Midnight cannot pay a secondary fee for quick access to his site to a host. It means that my so-called broadband internet would not be broadband anymore, since as a user there would be a slow-down in getting to his site.

Or even accessing this site at all, depending on how deep a lack of net neutrality could effect the internet.  Because under the new rules, ISPs could simply decide to shut off access websites and services they don't want you to see or use. It's for this reason that in today's divisive style of American politics, groups like the right-wing 'Christian Coalition' and the left-wing 'ACLU' have banded together to fight this bill.

If you do not understand what net neutrality means, please educate yourself. This is one of the most important issues facing America right now, it's about dismantling the 1st Ammendment, and it's happening in front of your eyes.

The bill can still be stopped. It is in the Senate right now. This issue is not about Democrat or Republican. This issue is about your rights as a consumer and your access to information. Should this become law, the U.S. portions of the Internet could become dangerously similiar to the Internet in China--but instead of a central committee deciding what is good content and what can have speedy access, it will be a telecom company board of directors. Neither scenario should be considered acceptable.

Please become educated on this issue and contact your congress people and senators. Do not wait. Do not hestiate. Act now. ACT NOW!!!!

This is one issue that, truly, can be fought in cyberspace.

Save the Internet
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

werd.

-f.

Edited by mobileditty - 11 Jun 2006 at 4:51pm
jwolverton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwolverton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2006 at 8:26am
"the single biggest threat to indie media, and U.S. democracy, that exists right now"
"A lack of net neutrality would mean ...  there would be a slow-down in getting to his site."

A big issue, to be sure. But the single biggest threat to U.S. democracy is... slow internet access? We should be so lucky.
 Post Reply Post Reply