NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone for the 3 Day?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Phobos Phobos wrote:

I don't think I could participate in a 3-day contest with no prompts to keep people honest.  The rules even suggest outlining to make things smoother and that kind of defeats the purpose of having a 3-day contest.  Like ... I could start now, wait a year or two, and have a 20-page "outline" for my 3-day contest.  Yah, I still have to write the sentences, but humans have impeccable capacity for memory and it's likely possible I've written the full novella or imagined its scenes a thousand times by then.  

Sorry ... flash fiction is a lot more fun because no one can start until the timer starts.  

I don't care what outline you have, you can't pigeon hole it into the absolutely bizarre combinations a RNG produced prompt can provide.

Oh, you're not wrong but I think the point of the 3day, even more so than the NYCM contest, is not about winning per se, and it's not best thought of as a competition versus other people, but rather as a competition against yourself.  It's like running a marathon.  Unless you're a professional marathon-runner, you're not going to win, and yet literally thousands of people do it anyway, for the experience.  Or so I'm told, as for me a marathon is dashing to the fridge for a snack during a commercial break.
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 2:38pm
Sigh.  My fridge is so empty.  No point in running at all.....

Seriously, I have to agree with Charlie on this -- and yet I have a rather long outline (but that is because of the kind of story I'm going to try to write - more on that later)   Sure, a person could cheat.  But if you read all the fine print of the contest, if your entry is too good, it won't be chosen.  This contest isn't really about who wrote the best all around piece, but who came up with the best story and presented it in a good manner considering they wrote it in 3 days.  If it doesn't look like it was written in 3 days, they're out.  That takes subjective judging, but all judging is rather subjective, so whatever.  

Really, this contest is more about writing a good story as fast as you can without passing out or giving up.  Or going to the fridge too many times.  The only way I will make it is to use like a size 16 font while I'm writing and then change it down to a 12 to turn it in.  

I love to write Flash, I love to write Short Story, so lets see if I can write a novel or novella - BRING IT!  

sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 2:41pm
oh yeah, I forgot - my outline is so long because my story involves history.  Historical Fiction.  I have some stuff I must keep straight and in order.  But that doesn't mean I'm writing my story.  But I'd be a fool not to take advantage of doing a good outline when I am trying to do my first historical fiction piece.  Which has two other genres thrown in for good measure.  (did I mention I have an insane streak?)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 12:37am
I REGISTERED AND NOW I'M EXCITED! HugBeerPartyStarClapCoolExclamation (Can you tell?) 
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 9:01pm
I hope those of you who jumped in had as much fun as I did! And very soon, we can write our next Flash story! It'll be so much easier now that you know what you can do in 3 days.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by catrad catrad wrote:

I hope those of you who jumped in had as much fun as I did! And very soon, we can write our next Flash story! It'll be so much easier now that you know what you can do in 3 days.

Woo hoo!! I've really got to thank you. I had so much fun writing my novel (you know, while I wasn't deep in the throes of my typical mental breakdowns), and now I have 3-day results to look forward to next year!! Thanks for luring me in!! Party
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234