NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curious if my story will be disqualified...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-HardyCarroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:07am
Well, you'll find out in a few weeks! Bottom line is if you wrote a solid story, you'll be in that top three who advance. My experience is incorporating the prompts well gives the story an edge over one that doesn't. I have similar doubts about my 2nd round entry because I took liberties with the subject. We'll see! Good luck.
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:27am
I saw some fairly tenuous uses of prompts in round one and some of them made it into the second round. I'm not going to name any of them, because I'm not judging them as being wrong in any way, but when I remember how much I worried about whether my round 1 included "binge" thoroughly enough...

You should be fine.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
Heartstart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heartstart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:39am
I think you'll be fine. It would be a different story if you didn't feature a fast-food worker at all, or only made them a very minor and tangential character (like a poster above said, it would be like if your story involved a brief and random side-trip to McDonalds, just for the sake of mentioning a fast-food worker).

For what it's worth, one of my characters had to be a computer programmer. While I made my main character a computer programmer, it was really only mentioned twice, almost in passing, and was certainly not integral to the story. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12