NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 3 - DONE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadOfDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round 3 - DONE!
    Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:44pm
With almost four hours to spare.

Gotta admit, this was the oddest script I've ever written but it was one of the easiest to write once I got going.

These contests force me to work outside of my "comfort zone." I'm more of a rom-com guy and previous rounds and competitions made me work in unfamiliar genres and explore subjects I'd normally avoid, so thanks for that.

Good luck to the rest of you still under the gun.

Write well!

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill
trish1206 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trish1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:45pm
These competitions totally take you out of your comfort zone.  (I had to write sci fi this time---not my cup of tea.)  But I will say that sometimes, that is where the magic happens.  This was an odd round for me, because I was literally done writing the story by lunch on Saturday.  Of course, I edited it until lunch today, but I have never been done so early and I've done 16 of these competitions.  Usually, I'm down to the wire.

Not sure what that means as far as this script goes.  Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Best of luck to you!
3rd Place Finalist FF2013
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 11:24pm
Done! Though after submission my husband wanted to read it (Comedy/Pediatrician's Office/Tofu) and the lack of laughter was appalling. So my hopes aren't high for advancing....
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
DadOfDavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DadOfDavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 11:45pm
The mind reels at that combination -- Comedy, Pediatrician's Office, Tofu

I had Action/Adventure, Rail Yard, Chisel.

My script reads more like a Twilight Zone episode than an Action/Adventure story. I hope it works.

Best of luck... although it's now in the hands of the judges

Edited by DadOfDavid - 13 Jan 2019 at 11:46pm
Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill
tedsturge View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedsturge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 12:14am
Submitted, with much more time left than I had with the previous challenges, which almost makes me nervous!

Drama/school detention room/teacup

I ended up with a screenplay I really like, but it's definitely heavy and probably not for everyone. Also it might veer into Horror/Thriller/Suspense at some points, but to be fair, "Drama" is pretty broad! Hoping for some like-minded judges this round. 

Good luck to everyone!
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 1:05am
I felt okay about this one. I actually wrote two totally different screenplays, but my other one was just too ambitious for 5 pages and 48 hours. I spent the better part of a day on it before abandoning it though. *pours one out for the story that would have been amazing if I could have pulled it off but I clearly could not*

My actual submission turned out okay, thanks to my awesome betas and extremely patient husband! Excited to read everyone else's work!
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
osmos512 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmos512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 3:17am
Submitted with seconds to spare.

Drama, school detention room, teacup

This is the furthest from my comfort zone I've yet gone in this competition. I normally write comedy or high-concept genre, as straight, realistic drama bores me. But my last script was Suspense and the judges docked me points for making it too funny. I kept things mostly serious this time, but it was like tying both my hands behind my back. I couldn't even generate my final idea until noon on Sunday, whereas I conceived both of my first two scripts before Saturday evening. It's such a raw idea, I still don't know how I even feel about it. But it's a challenge I rose to meet. I'm sure I've made some neural connections by trying something new.

Edited by osmos512 - 14 Jan 2019 at 3:27am
SSC R1, Ch1: Peace in the Middle Feast
SSC R1, Ch2: A Sensitive Stomach
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 3:18am
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

I felt okay about this one. I actually wrote two totally different screenplays, but my other one was just too ambitious for 5 pages and 48 hours. I spent the better part of a day on it before abandoning it though. *pours one out for the story that would have been amazing if I could have pulled it off but I clearly could not*

My actual submission turned out okay, thanks to my awesome betas and extremely patient husband! Excited to read everyone else's work!

Group 5, right? Crazy, we basically had the same experience. Smashed out the 2nd script in 5 hours Sunday night. Set in the same sci-fi world and same characters, which helped, but yeah. Whole new un-betad script submitted. Eek!
MissKeister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

Group 5, right? Crazy, we basically had the same experience. Smashed out the 2nd script in 5 hours Sunday night. Set in the same sci-fi world and same characters, which helped, but yeah. Whole new un-betad script submitted. Eek!

I had that experience, too!  Maybe it just took a bunch of exploring the world to find the right story.  I was up til 1 Saturday night banging my head against the desk because it was all coming out wrong, but my lovely (patient, patient patient) boyfriend beta'd and got me on the right track with my characters/world.

It takes a village, sometimes.  
 Post Reply Post Reply