NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback Useless As Ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:04pm
Well, you advanced, so no need for regret! Just food for thought if you do a similar story in the future where race is a factor. 

I was really fearful of my Ch1 story (which features an obsessed fan and closeted gay pop stars) being considered offensive so I tried to make sure my writing couldn't be misread in an offensive way (reread it multiple times and called out in beta that I was concerned about my portrayal of these characters and hoping for other perspectives), and was still scared I missed the mark. But apparently my big failing was that I didn't kill any of them. LOL

Edited to add: The MC's name was so Western, I think it was obvious he wasn't native just from that; he definitely could have been black and as out of his element in Africa as a white man. It's just interesting to wonder how the racially-sensitive judge would have reacted if there were no reference to whiteness at all!

Edited by thesaura73 - 21 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123