NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

As we await results...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 2:08am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I think you're trying to respond to a point I never made. I don't believe there is a correct or incorrect way to write a fairy tale. I never claimed to. Hence why I felt it was unproductive to tell you my definition, as it's simply not the point I'm trying to make. 

Thanks for clarifying.  Since you started with describing what was "expected" in a fairy tale, I interpreted that to mean that you had a genre definition of some sort which defined expectations.  I wasn't clear that it was just personal opinion - I interpreted the wording as instructive, based on some external source, and couldn't understand why you were so reluctant to identify the source. lol  

Still - as often happens here in NYCM - the diversion from the original post launched a very interesting exploration!  I know that each round when folks see fairy tale, I see a flurry of "what, exactly, is the framework for that" and I am sure that more than one person is headed down the rabbit hole with the resources mentioned. :)

Thanks for clarifying your interpretation. I appreciate hearing your perspective. I was a bit confused why there was so much controversy over pointing out that a happy ending is a tradition of the genre lol. My original intention, by defining it as a reasonable expectation, was only to say that I could understand someone believing it was a fairy tale requirement.

Well it was a nice dive back into a book I really quite enjoyed, so I hardly consider it time wasted. ;) And the bit about the etymological history of Märchen was super interesting to stumble upon, imo.

Edited by taaaylor - 15 Dec 2018 at 2:09am
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910