NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monday Morning Quarterback: Regrets Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Lynne Lynne wrote:

Originally posted by Kasey Kasey wrote:

Originally posted by Nic6879 Nic6879 wrote:

Originally posted by PrestonLeytonNelson PrestonLeytonNelson wrote:

Yes as long as the font isnt like in Wingdings or something equally unreadable, it should be fine!!! 

LOL WingDings! What even *is* the purpose of this "font"?!

They originally developed as a computerized version of "dingbats," those little symbols we use for the end of a section in a book, for example. With the dawn of the Internet, it also gave users a way to incorporate images into text quickly and easily without needing to download anything.

Plus, they're fun! Like pre-emoji emojis!

Silly me - I thought it might be a cool way to send secret messages - send in wingding and change fonts when received in order to read.

Thanks Rainbowsockmonkey!

Can’t tell if you legitimately thought I was rainbowsockmoney or if that was some sort of sarcastic dig on my too serious answer. This is why I’m nervous about my comedy genre! Ahhhh! 
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 3:36pm
I re-read my story on Monday and saw a huge typo in the 2nd paragraph that completely made the sentence not make sense. I'm assuming that'll kick me out. Although the fact that the romantic comedy I wrote doesn't have much comedy in it might clinch the deal for me anyway :S
queenoftheimps View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenoftheimps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 3:39pm
I submitted my story at literally 11:59pm on the dot and I need to never, ever, ever cut it that close again.
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by roccapia roccapia wrote:

I re-read my story on Monday and saw a huge typo in the 2nd paragraph that completely made the sentence not make sense. I'm assuming that'll kick me out. Although the fact that the romantic comedy I wrote doesn't have much comedy in it might clinch the deal for me anyway :S

Second round, I found a typo just like that the next day, on top of another word that was missing completely. Doesn't seem like the judges caught it, or if they did, they didn't deduct for it. *crosses fingers for you*
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:55pm
I screwed up - my title page and story are in two different fonts Shocked. I was so careful to change the story to an "accepted font" - but I did the title page last and didn't notice that Word defaulted to Cambria for that page. Now i'm worried that they'll just look at the title page and assume the rest of the doc is in the same font. Not sure which would lose me more points - that, or having two different fonts!

ARGH! Has anyone here lost formatting points? How would we even know? Does it come up in comments?
Please read my Short Story 2021 Challenge #2 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic40583_post419488.html#419488
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Nic6879 Nic6879 wrote:

I'll start:

I just now realized that I submitted my whole story in 11 pt font, instead of 12 pt. Proper formatting counts for 15% of the final points. Fif-freaking-teen!!

How this happened? I write in Pages, since this is what I have at home. Apparently, Pages was set to 11 pt; I didn't notice because my page was zoomed to bigger than 100%, I'm guessing, because the letters sure looked big enough as I wrote it!  To submit, I just save my story as a Word doc and submit. You can't check the Word doc because while I can save a .doc document, the moment I open it, it reverts back to Pages! So this morning at work, I re-read what I've done (because I can't help myself) and I open the document (windows at work, so here's Word now), and the letters are tiny!! WTF, I think, and I check the font, and sure enough, it's Courier New 11 pt!!!

Of all the ways, this seems like one of the DUMBEST to lose points!! aaaaaaargh at self!! argh argh!

What are your next-day regrets / issues you've noticed too late / things you hate now / things you never noticed until it was too late and are kicking yourself for?

I just want to crawl into a hole for a month now...

Btw, where did you hear that it's 15%? I've been looking and can't find that info anywhere. No clue how the scoring works!
Please read my Short Story 2021 Challenge #2 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic40583_post419488.html#419488
Bookworm33 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bookworm33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by claviercat claviercat wrote:

Btw, where did you hear that it's 15%? I've been looking and can't find that info anywhere. No clue how the scoring works!
It's in the Rules and Participation Agreement - if you go to the main FFC page of the NYC website, there's a link. It's actually quite interesting to skim through: https://bit.ly/2qQcGgF

"20. Judging Criteria & Decision of the Judges - The fixed standard and criteria used by each of the Judges shall be instructed by the LLC to the Judges, and shall be as follows: 15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length) 15% Spelling and Grammar 70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development)"
SSC R1: Hard Lessons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789