NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Result Would you Consider a "Success?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgochoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:05pm
I think I just always want to write a good story. My first year with FFC, I moved on to Round 2. That very first FFC story was published earlier this year. I made the finals of SSC the first year I did it. Ever since that first year though, I never made the finals again of SSC or round 2 of FFC. I've written some good stories with some good scores and some stories I loved that got zero points.

My goals now are to actually complete the challenge even if I'm not inspired by the prompts and even if I've gotten zero points in round 1 of FFC. At least I'll end up with some completed stories or at least something that can be revised and potentially submitted to publications. I've had stories that got zero points get published and stories with 14 point struggle to find a home. What scores well in the contest doesn't necessarily translate to publication markets. It doesn't mean I'm still not disappointed though when a story I love gets zero points or even 1 point like by R1 story this time!
FFC Ch 2, Gr 60 Take My Hand
Follow me: Twitter
tashs89 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashs89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:27pm
I'm really aiming to make it into the final round. I didn't quite get there for the short story contest (the only other NYC one I've done) — but I feel that I've gotten better since then. I'm happy that I scored 15 points on my first flash ... so maybe it's possible :) 
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:38pm
NYCMidnight comps are the first time I have ever shared anything I have written - first entry was the short story comp last year. So my biggest idea of success is people, especially writers, actually reading something I've written and giving feedback.  It's most satisfying!
DrM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 1:38am
Success for me is learning and growing as a writer. 

I've always loved writing, but never got around to taking formal classes on it. NYCM for me is kind of like a very slow "Creative Writing 101". 

I scored well in round 1 this year (11 points), and I'm happy with my story this round... if I get to advance I'll feel very fortunate, but if not I'll still be happy for the opportunity to challenge myself and get some valuable feedback! 
angelagilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:45am
I feel schizophrenic when it comes to "success" in this contest.  At first, writing something I love is good enough for me.  Then I want points.  Then I want the next round.  I was THRILLED to make the final round of the SSC this year, then disappointed when something I thought was the best I'd ever written didn't place in the top 20, so it just depends on the moment for me

But then I step back and realizing that the act of writing and creating something from nothing should be and is enough, and I lean on that when I feel disappointed by results.  
Talespinner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:55am
I am delighted with the stories I've written for Practice, and in the first two challenges. Feedback from participants and from the Ch1 judges has been enormously helpful in turning them into stories I'm proud of.

I've just realized that if I can sell them for publication, not only would they see readers, I might cover the NYCM fee. Now that would be a win.
Ch3 NC story SF/hospice/armband
Ending; Happy?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by angelagilbert angelagilbert wrote:

I feel schizophrenic when it comes to "success" in this contest. 

Just write what the voices tell you to, and you'll be fine. Tongue

(I actually am schizophrenic, or I promise I wouldn't joke about it.)

< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
mwit08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwit08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by barnabypage barnabypage wrote:

Originally posted by mwit08 mwit08 wrote:

I remember one story where the main character was a soccer ball, and given the prompts (Object: Soccer Ball), and description in the my story, when a judge went on and on about the protagonist being a dog, I was enraged.  

I feel for you but, at the same time, ROFL! Unfortunately, that's all too believable.

Yeah, that sounds ... ruff.

/ducks and runs

Worked all kinds of weird hours last week and just saw this.  There may or may not have been snorted soda as a result of drinking while reading said pun.  Well done, sir!  Beer
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:37pm

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by barnabypage barnabypage wrote:

I remember one story where the main character was a soccer ball, and given the prompts (Object: Soccer Ball), and description in the my story, when a judge went on and on about the protagonist being a dog, I was enraged.  

I feel for you but, at the same time, ROFL! Unfortunately, that's all too believable.

Yeah, that sounds ... ruff.

/ducks and runs

Worked all kinds of weird hours last week and just saw this.  There may or may not have been snorted soda as a result of drinking while reading said pun.  Well done, sir!  Beer

;)

My work here is done.

I have always been fascinated by word play since I was a child. A distant aunt (geographically) found out through my dad about this and got me a book of puns, sometime in the 2nd grade, I think.

Just about wore that book out--you could make humor from words themselves!

Never looked back, and I am of course still continuing...we were in a very important statistics meeting at work a few years ago, looking for patterns in customer behavior, and I said "One man's mean is another man's Poisson."  I was very proud of myself. No one else was. /shrug
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456