NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoring (what you need to know)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

The only person you are competing against is yourself. 

Actually, personally, I am competing against William Faulkner. So far I am doing way better in this competition than he is, mostly on account of him being dead. 

ha ha, now if you want to emulate WF, what you have to do is write drunk, and I mean really drunk.  Faulkner lived in Oxford, MS.  I went to law school there, and the tales people told about him!  There was this one alley there called "Faulkner's Alley" because he supposedly spent so much time passed out in it.  

The people of Salinas, CA, told similar stories about Steinbeck.  And everyone knows that Hemmingway not only liked to fish, he drank like one too.  

It appears that being a superb drinker is necessary to be a great writer - cheers! (are you competing with how much he drank too?)
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 4:20pm
Don't have much left in the liquor cabinet, but I should have enough cheap bourbon to to up my game in the next round. 
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 4:34pm
I attempted version #3 (out of 4) of my Challenge #1 story while a bit sloshed. It seems I'm no William Faulkner. 
FFCCh#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
SSC R1 H117 The Price of Fire
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Don't have much left in the liquor cabinet, but I should have enough cheap bourbon to to up my game in the next round.

I see you less as a Faulkner type Drunk Writer than maybe a Dorothy Parker or Hunter S Thompson sort....  But I could be wrong. This article lists the most-famous' favorite drinks - perhaps that will identify your true affinity? (Apparently Hemingway liked mojitos - but for me that just conjures up Bruce Campbell playing Sam Axe...)

Originally posted by KJHunter KJHunter wrote:

I attempted version #3 (out of 4) of my Challenge #1 story while a bit sloshed. It seems I'm no William Faulkner. 

Well WaPo has a list of non-drinking writers just for you.. It's partway down this article...  

"Many of the most notable American writers managed to stay away from the bottle. The list includes Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain, Mary McCarthy, Upton Sinclair, Emily Dickinson, Henry Thoreau, Zane Gray, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Saul Bellow, William Golding, Robert Frost, Edith Wharton, Willa Cather, James Michener, Lillian Hellman, Tom Wolfe and Flannery O'Connor. Some alcoholic writers, moreover, were able to conquer their addiction. John Cheever, for example, aft"

Time to pick a new idol I guess...
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

I see you less as a Faulkner type Drunk Writer than maybe a Dorothy Parker or Hunter S Thompson sort....  But I could be wrong. This article lists the most-famous' favorite drinks - perhaps that will identify your true affinity? (Apparently Hemingway liked mojitos - but for me that just conjures up Bruce Campbell playing Sam Axe...)

I feel like Hunter S. Thompson might be a bit ambitious when you consider the full scope. I don't have the money it takes to sustain those sorts of habits, and I'm worried my head might implode. Dorothy Parker seems like more fun.
FFC2 GR68: the astronomer
viceversa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viceversa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 1:45am
allllrighty then!

KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 9:19am

Well WaPo has a list of non-drinking writers just for you.. It's partway down this article...  

Let's not get carried away here! LOL I think this is a skill I just need to learn how to sharpen!  ;)
FFCCh#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
SSC R1 H117 The Price of Fire
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by KJHunter KJHunter wrote:

Let's not get carried away here! LOL I think this is a skill I just need to learn how to sharpen!  ;)

It's important for a writer to be clear on their goals.  As long as you know what direction you're heading...  :)
Paul.Ford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul.Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:46pm
In 2017, I got 0 points in the first challenge and 15 points in the second.

I didn't advance in my heat though Cry

I was stoked about the 15 points though LOL
FFC 2018 CH1 GR4 The Last Mystic
FFC 2018 CH2 GR4 Passion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234