NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A NEW QUESTION FOR FINALISTS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A NEW QUESTION FOR FINALISTS
    Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 11:59pm
Has anyone received any kind of confirmation of receipt of their agreement to participate in the finals? I may be over-thinking this, but thought I might get some kind of email confirming they got my 'OK'email.

I'd hate to get to Friday night and find nothing in my email box because somehow my email didn't get through. I've sent them two emails already, requesting some kind of confirm that I'm confirmed, but so far no anwer.

Any one else worried about this? Or should I just chill out?

FYI: 3/14/08

I got an answer to my request for confirmation email this morning, stating that my mail had been received, and there was no problem- and that they will not be contacting the finalists over this last email unless they have not heard from them... (not received the 'ok, I'm in' email)
So I guess if you haven't heard from them you are good to go!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! WE'RE OFF TO THE RACES!       

Edited by topangarose - 13 Mar 2008 at 8:41am
ssecrest View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssecrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 2:53am
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

Has anyone received any kind of confirmation of receipt of their agreement to participate in the finals? I may be over-thinking this, but thought I might get some kind of email confirming they got my 'OK'email.

I haven't gotten an OK to my OK email. Smile I figure with the way they worded/how they wanted our confirmation that we'd be participating, that they wouldn't be confirming that we confirmed.

I figure that if I don't get anything in my email Friday night, I'll send them a follow-up email, forwarding my OK email with the date/time stamp for proof, then go ahead and write the story anyway (since they'll post the genre and subject on the web site) and submit it, while I'm waiting for them to check into things.
2008 Short Story Challenge Survivor
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:37am
Thanks for responding. I got an answer to my request for confirmation email this morning, stating that my mail had been received, and there was no problem- and that they will not be contacting the finalists over this last email unless they have not heard from them... (not received the 'ok, I'm in' email)
So I guess if you haven't heard from them you are good to go!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! WE'RE OFF TO THE RACES!
joelhuettig View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelhuettig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 11:46am
    Thanks for bringing this up, as I was just starting to get a little worried that I hadn't actually hit the send button or something. I've told a few people I am in the finals, and it would be rather embarrassing to have screwed it up.

They send out the email Friday and 11:59 EDT, right? Hmmm, that might give us west coasters a little advantage. Or not, but at least I'll be done Saturday night in time to go out for a drink, hopefully a celebratory one, but more likely one to help forget the incoherent mishmash I've just posted.

Good luck!
"Broken promises don't really bother me. I just figure, hey, why'd they believe me in the first place." --Jack Handey
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 10:47pm
Yeah- I was happy to get it resolved before tomorrow, when I will have enough to worry about. I don't know if getting the email at 9pm will give us any advantage, except that we don't have to stay up as late to get started and get to drink when it's all over. Ok, I guess we do have an advantage. On the night I found out I was going to the finals, I actually made my daughter come back from the bar she was at,(at midnite) pick me up(car in shop that day) and drive me back with her to celebrate. Now that is pathetic. Yeah, we really do have quite an advantage!! grin.

So for us pacific timers, our incoherent mishmash must be posted by 8:59pm PAC.time.

(God, I'm glad to be writing this, as I was thinking post time would be 9:59. That would be just like me to post it an hour late.)

Good luck once again to you all! lOOKING FORWARD TO READING ALL OF YOUR STORIES. Including mine!-t

Edited by topangarose - 13 Mar 2008 at 10:54pm
ssecrest View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssecrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 3:20am

I don't know if getting the email at 9pm will give us any advantage, except that we don't have to stay up as late to get started and get to drink when it's all over.

Some of us--okay, maybe just me--plan to drink during.  LOL I need to pick up some more vodka and Apple Pucker today, actually.

I drunk so much during the day I wrote my first round story that I felt like Towelie from South Park. Only instead of not knowing what's going on, I was like, "Dude, I have no idea what I just wrote."
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 9:29pm
I couldn't do that, I'd be asleep in an hour. I went to Starbucks at 7pm last night and got a cafe mocha w/double expresso. Usually that does the trick, but by 7 am, I had to sleep for two hours.

Now it's 11:30pm on Saturday (PAC) and I'm gonna go pour me a Dirty White Mother!
ssecrest View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssecrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 8:07am

Now it's 11:30pm on Saturday (PAC) and I'm gonna go pour me a Dirty White Mother!

Okay, I gotta ask:  What's a dirty white mother?

Everyone would be proud of me with how sober I ultimately was yesterday. Smile I didn't even crack open my jug of vodka. I woke up so late (11:30 a.m.), so I couldn't do my plotting routine of screwdrivers and cinnamon rolls. Just went into the appletinis around 1:30. I did take a nap at 5:30, and that was after I had the three appletinis and three Goldschlager shots (spaced out, of course), but I probably would've taken a nap anyway as a break, to let things fester around in my sleep. I only wish that nap didn't turn into two hours.

If I find myself in the finals next year, I'm so doing things differently. Starting with having a talk with the funeral homes to hold off on faxing obit notices until the weekend. I knew when I walked out of the TV studio Friday night with faxes in hand that I was going to be screwed. (Yeah, I know, not the healthiest attitude to have--and the final round hadn't even started yet!) Four hours typing obits--and I started at 10 p.m. On average, it takes me about two hours. I still can't get over how I killed 12 hours of story time between obits and sleep.

I think it's jealousy that still has me ranting. Smile I read everyone else's messages about how they had so much fun. I want that experience!  LOL I did have fun when I was plotting my original entry, but from 7:30 p.m. on, it was hell and I hated every minute.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 5:37pm
RECIPE: DIRTY WHITE MOTHER

Fill glass with ice
Pour equal parts brandy & Kalhua over ice
Fill with milk to taste.

I had no fun for the last 5 hours of the contest. Probably longer, since I was realizing early on that my story was going all over the place... but with 5 hrs left.. I had thrown away most of my story by then, and wasn't sure i could finish the new idea in time. Turns out, I couldn't.
At least today, I know what I need to save it in a re-write.

You should definately put the funeral home on hold during this kind of thing. Do they have a back-up person?

Don't apologize for the ranting. I've been ranting all day!

Edited by topangarose - 19 Apr 2008 at 9:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply