NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genre Guidelines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrozd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genre Guidelines
    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:47am
I got romance for round two of the 100 word challenge. If i throw in a little chuckle at the end, do you think i'd be disqualified for it being a rom com? I feel like the two can be so closely related, but maybe that's just my sick sense of twisting everything?
R1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y7y1o0lTNnF21jKQcd-k1hO6D6K1RXFe8ccF0-hgwNk/edit?usp=sharing
hot-tin-roof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot-tin-roof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 1:16pm
I got romance, too, and I've been concerned with the same question! I think as long as the balance in the story skews more toward romance than comedy, it's okay to include some humor.
Tromatojuice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tromatojuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm
I think it's totally fine. The rules say: 

For example; if your assigned genre is drama, a story that reads as an outright comedy will most likely be disqualified.  You may add in elements from other genres, but make sure the predominant elements of your story are without a doubt from your assigned genre...

So as long as the romance is your main genre, it's ok to sprinkle it with chuckles. (Also who doesn't like romantic comedies? :D )

adrozd View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrozd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by hot-tin-roof hot-tin-roof wrote:

I got romance, too, and I've been concerned with the same question! I think as long as the balance in the story skews more toward romance than comedy, it's okay to include some humor.

I am so stuck! we've got 3 hours and I can't seem to start a decent story. Everything I write it so sappy it makes me giggle.
R1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y7y1o0lTNnF21jKQcd-k1hO6D6K1RXFe8ccF0-hgwNk/edit?usp=sharing
lmcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 9:02pm
If my word is open can I say opened?
adrozd View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrozd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by lmcollins lmcollins wrote:

If my word is open can I say opened?

yes. as long as your word appears exactly as written within the word, you are fine. My word is greed and I plan on using greedy.
lmcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 9:31pm
thanks!!!! I am saying opened. I am actually submitting early for once! Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot-tin-roof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 10:58pm
I feel your pain! I wrote a couple drafts of wildly different stories this morning (one of which was the single sappiest thing I've ever written) and it took me FOREVER to decide which one to go with. I've never spent so much time pondering what exactly the difference is between a romance and a rom-com...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot-tin-roof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by adrozd adrozd wrote:

I am so stuck! we've got 3 hours and I can't seem to start a decent story. Everything I write it so sappy it makes me giggle.

I feel your pain! I wrote a couple drafts of wildly different stories this morning (one of which was the single sappiest thing I've ever written) and it took me FOREVER to decide which one to go with. I've never spent so much time pondering what exactly the difference is between a romance and a rom-com...

(I think I posted my response correctly this time...I'm new to this whole forum thing!)
adrozd View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrozd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 11:49pm

Originally posted by adrozd adrozd wrote:

(I think I posted my response correctly this time...I'm new to this whole forum thing!)

I finally got something submitted that I didn't hate. Not hopeful that it will make it to the final round, but at least I submitted something! Congrats on making it to round 2!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic