NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuzzy edges of genre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tk1912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuzzy edges of genre
    Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:41am
So in my first round assignment this year, I've been given "Action Adventure." As I brainstormed about the story, I came up with something I really like, but it would involve superheroes, which don't have their own genre per se but I suppose someone could argue they'd be sci fi or fantasy.

My question is this: if I write this story with superheroes battling a supervillain, would that stay within my assigned genre? I would think so, but I would hate to invest the time to come up with and write the story only to learn afterwards that I had violated the rules by not writing within my assigned genre.
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 1:10pm
I think you'd be fine with that idea. 
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 2:08pm
I think as long as you strongly hit all your prompts and the elements of the A/A genre it would be fine...
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
 Post Reply Post Reply